where does the $$ come from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lina123321

ralph: im a unitard
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sort of off topic..only sort of. but ive been reading some threads/posts as to whether living w/the parents is a good move for med school provided that the option is there...other than loans, there is no other way to move out unless u have a really wellpaying job, are married or are in a solid relationship where your partner would pay the expenses, or if u have parents who really spoil you . throughout undergrad ive been living at "home", and working parttime, but there's no way on the salary i got that i could afford renting an apartment, let alone a room, and pay for expenses like my car insurance, cellphone bill, etc.. so how is it done?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Loans, many, many loans. Doctors earn at least a minimum of 120 k a year once they're in practice. So you're making about 10 k a month at least. I'm sure you can put a couple thou into paying off the debt then.

sort of off topic..only sort of. but ive been reading some threads/posts as to whether living w/the parents is a good move for med school provided that the option is there...other than loans, there is no other way to move out unless u have a really wellpaying job, are married or are in a solid relationship where your partner would pay the expenses, or if u have parents who really spoil you . throughout undergrad ive been living at "home", and working parttime, but there's no way on the salary i got that i could afford renting an apartment, let alone a room, and pay for expenses like my car insurance, cellphone bill, etc.. so how is it done?:confused: :confused: :confused:

There are lots of people out there who have lots of undergrad debt in addition to medical school debt. You'll be OK. Living at home does have it's financial advantage. However, for me, I wouldn't trade in my sanity for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people take out loans for living expenses if they aren't living at home. You just pay them off slowly after you graduate.

You know Lina, I've been screaming the same question into the night sky! :p
I live with relatives and it can definitely be hard (and cramp your style). I like to think I have it particularly hard too because I don't even have my own room. :( But, alas, I consider it my great sacrifice in the name of higher education. Sure I would love to work more hours so I could live on my own.(I have excellent certifications in my field, but have no luck finding part time work!) I'm also afraid that if I bumped up my work hours it would be detrimental to my grades. So I guess it's just something I have to do until I win the lottery! :)

But, sometimes I do get frustrated enough that I consider taking out a giant loan to escape....