Where does the stethoscope go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylek044

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people say that it depends on the rotation or specialty...but where does YOUR stethoscope go: around the neck, on the waist, or in the pocket?

Members don't see this ad.

Hip holster. Wearing it on your neck degrades the tube. And it looks lame.

OR days...at home.

Office days...in my coat pocket. If I forget it, in the medical student's coat pocket (although it is sometimes around their neck...despite my best interventions and intentions).

Never around the neck. Sign of a flea.

If I've got the white coat, it's in the front pocket. Scrubs, I have a nifty way of tucking it into the waist, no holster needed. I may hang it on my neck in the midst of a PE while continuing with the Pt., mostly b/c I don't want to fumble, but it's right back to the waist when I'm done.

Hip holster. Wearing it on your neck degrades the tube. And it looks lame.

Um...and this doesn't look lame? ;)

87273.jpg

Um...and this doesn't look lame? ;)

87273.jpg

Yeah, but that is a byproduct of it being a lame scope combined with a lame holster. The only thing that would be worse would be an amplified scope on the hip.

To each his own. I bet you like Macs too. :D

Im lefthanded so i tend to go with the goofy style!! LOL.

I tried the hip holster but it makes it hard to sit down. I tend to go w/ in the pocket if I'm wearing my white coat and around the neck (not full necklace style) if I'm not. I usually wear my white coat though.

One of my attendings in the unit this month wore his backwards necklace style which was just weird.

they're canadian and therefore, it does not matter. :p

good thing for me that my stethoscope will be forever encased after medschool graduation. pathology :thumbup:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T HEAR THAT GRADE 1/6 DIASTOLIC MURMUR AT THE LLSB? DAMNNNNN YOUUUUUU !11!!!1!one!!1

PS-3 more weeks of using mine and I'm done too, until grandma wants me to make sure she still has MVP.

I'm one of the lame-o's that wear it around the neck. Technically, it's over one shoulder with the bell in my breast-pocket and the earpieces hanging down my back (because that makes me feel cooler than the others). In my defence, this is only when it's absolutely necessary like on a ward round or during a teaching session where it would conceivably be useful. Two thirds of the time it's stuffed in my bag somewhere. Be assured I'm not down in the cafeteria with it around my neck or, like some of my classmates, roaming the streets downtown.

Oh and that hip holster thing looks awful. I know I'm lame but that's committing-ritual-suicide-to-restore-your-family-honor-lame.

Oh no...please tell me you're joking!:rolleyes:

Back when I was an EMT, one of the "Rescue Randys" actually kept his stethoscope draped over the rear-view mirror of his car, like a pair of fuzzy dice! For all I know, he wore it into bars to pick up chicks, too. :laugh:

As for the "casually-slung-over-one-shoulder" method, I recall that being popular with some of the peds residents. It looked rather precarious, to me...I tried it once, but it wouldn't stay put.

Back when I was an EMT, one of the "Rescue Randys" actually kept his stethoscope draped over the rear-view mirror of his car, like a pair of fuzzy dice! For all I know, he wore it into bars to pick up chicks, too. :laugh:

As for the "casually-slung-over-one-shoulder" method, I recall that being popular with some of the peds residents. It looked rather precarious, to me...I tried it once, but it wouldn't stay put.

Do you have any pictorial exhibits of this style? I'm new to this one.

Yeah, it was an edge look but I totally pulled it off. :D It takes a bit of practice and kinda forces you to stand-up straight but after a while it's like second nature. I tried finding a picture but Google came back empty and I can't seem to find my camera. Sorry.

Edit: I found a picture after all. He has it on the right but I'm right handed so it's usually over my left shoulder.

1574R-20811.jpg

Only because I am a fellow sufferer. I can't even wear a bag on my shoulder if I have a coat on, slides right off...must be my ape-like surgical training stoop and hunched shoulders.:D

This guy has the same problem. ;)

chimp_doctor.jpg

Not a flea, but I wear my stethoscope around my neck.

I'm on cardiology now, and one of the cardiologists I am with does the "slung over one shoulder" look.

listen up life obstacles!

as a future ophthalmologist i intend on burning my stethoscope asap.

I wear mine around the neck ("goofy" style, although I am not left handed). I tried wearing it in my pocket (my first 3rd year rotation was surgery), but found that this was very uncomfortable. I guess I decided I didn't really care if surgeons thought I looked ridiculous, as long as I was comfortable.

I know people say that it depends on the rotation or specialty...but where does YOUR stethoscope go: around the neck, on the waist, or in the pocket?

YOUR stethoscope should be left in your home when you are doing neonatology. In most NICU's each baby has their own.:)

I'm an around the neck kinda gal, altho by the end of my shift it's usually only around the neck while I'm actually in a patient's room. The rest of the time it's flung on the counter, on top of the PACS system... wherever. The thing just gets too darn heavy.

I'd prolly put it in my white coat if the weight didn't give me a neck ache.

Yeah, I know, neck issues!

Gotta hate all the political correctness regarding wearing a stethoscope. Is it cool or geeky or practical or LAME? I'll jump in on the around-the-neck gang. I don't even wear a white coat anymore (MS4)...guess I will for a couple years when I get that long one...woohoo!!!

Mine's in my pocket if I'm wearing my white coat. Otherwise, as a surgical resident you learn to auscultate well with the $3 scopes laying around the preop area or in the ICU rooms...it's surprising the things you can hear perfectly fine with these if you just listen closely.

For traumas, I just borrow a nurse's scope.....the system has worked so far.

I like to wander the halls with my stethoscope pointed at people. Much like a weapon.

I find attendings/residents/interns/patients/and office administration afraid of a sexual harassment lawsuit tend to send me home early when I sport this look.

CB106290.jpg

I like to wander the halls with my stethoscope pointed at people. Much like a weapon.

I find attendings/residents/interns/patients/and office administration afraid of a sexual harassment lawsuit tend to send me home early when I sport this look.

CB106290.jpg

:laugh:

That's cool! She actually transmits sound through the neck into the ears!

I generally throw mine over my neck for the sake of convenience. Sometimes I jam it in my pocket, but since I'm still a student and don't have those huge long coat pockets, it's not really practical. Sometimes if it is in my pocket, the loop catches my phone or one of the many pieces of paper i have jammed in there and I end up picking it up off the floor.
I'll stick with it around my neck.. i've been a nerd all my life.. why stop now.

Thankfully, these days my scope gathers dust. I love pathology.

I guess I'm also horribly out of the loop because I had no idea there were cool and not-cool ways to wear a scope. Seriously?!?

I guess I'm also horribly out of the loop because I had no idea there were cool and not-cool ways to wear a scope. Seriously?!?

Sure - nothing new. How LONG have you been out of school?!;)

You can see in my avatar, I don't even wear mine. Only accessory is a knife (and some blood for those bedside core biopsies).

Seriously. We had a meeting, we voted. Didn't you get the memo? Actually, it made our class list of "Med school fashion crimes"

#2 : Stethoscopes are not necklaces

I think my class just has way too much time on our hands

Gotta hate all the political correctness regarding wearing a stethoscope. Is it cool or geeky or practical or LAME? I'll jump in on the around-the-neck gang. I don't even wear a white coat anymore (MS4)...guess I will for a couple years when I get that long one...woohoo!!!

Do you know what political correctness means?

Do you know what political correctness means?

Sure do Dr. McNinja. And I'm using it very loosely. The wearing of stethoscopes one way or another "offends" certain groups. For example, some attendings are offended to see med students wear their scopes around their necks...as though they haven't earned that yet. Surgeons think it isn't right and will laugh at other budding surgeons (interns & med students) for wearing it around their necks. Yes Mr. Ninja it's a very loose usage of the definition, but it's still works in my world (however crazy that world is right now). So what's your point? Do you really think it's useful to go around and criticize other poster's spelling or grammar? Is that what this forum is all about? Just chill out and quit stressing about the Match. We're all tense, but there's no need to take it out on everyone else.

So wait, you were criticizing other people, and in doing so used the wrong word, but when I pointed that out, I was in the wrong?

Ok.

Wearing of stethoscopes does not offend people at my school. It is all personal preference, just like clothing. That doesn't mean wearing a green shirt with a red tie doesn't look dumb. Me saying that isn't a PC issue.