Where else can a US trained physician practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourthyearmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what countries allow someone who has completed medical school and residency in the U.S. and is fully licensed and board certified to practice in their country without having to repeat a residency or a lot of testing? I've heard Europe is pretty tough. What about New Zealand or Australia? Any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

fourthyearmed said:
I was just wondering what countries allow someone who has completed medical school and residency in the U.S. and is fully licensed and board certified to practice in their country without having to repeat a residency or a lot of testing? I've heard Europe is pretty tough. What about New Zealand or Australia? Any other suggestions?
I read in some ads that in NZ, Australia and Singapore, you can practice there as long as you are (American) Board Certified in your specialty but most of the positions require 3-5 years experience on you specialty. In Canada, they will still require you to pass their RCPC exams within 3-5 years (unless you are willing to work in Newfoundland). There is no reciprocity in the UK.

tantrum said:
I read in some ads that in NZ, Australia and Singapore, you can practice there as long as you are (American) Board Certified in your specialty but most of the positions require 3-5 years experience on you specialty. In Canada, they will still require you to pass their RCPC exams within 3-5 years (unless you are willing to work in Newfoundland). There is no reciprocity in the UK.

I can't speak for Singapore, but I believe here in Australia and New Zealand you can work, but it will most likely be in an "area of need" and will be within the public system. If you're just looking for a working holiday and an experience then that may be fine.. But, If you want to actually make some $$ and want to work at a private practice then you will need to pass the AMC exam for foreign medical graduates and possibly do a year or two in the hospital in a residency before you would be granted a full medical license/registration here.

Australian Medical Council Exams

Members don't see this ad :)
In Singapore, I know a couple of consultants who are practicing with reciprocity. But they are US Board certified with at least 5 years experience in their specialty and one of them has published a lot of research.
In New Zealand, I also know a couple of University based doctors (Psych and Critical Care) who are US Board Certified. I also inquired with NZ Registry Board and they have a table on the requirements for US Board-Certified physicians. They need at least 2 years of experience without taking the NZ exam.

I would recommend practicing in another state as there is great variation of personalities/cultures within the US depending on region.

You could be unhappy in California but very happy in the Midwest or Arizona, unhappy in New York but love it in the South, etc...