Where has the Org Chem gone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading what recent MCATers have said, it seems that there has been only one org passage on the MCAT.

I saw two back in August.

Anybody have any comments because I am thinking about just brushing up on it since it seems not to be a major part of the test and I would get more bang for my buck by studying elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we have to concentrate more on Biology than on Organic but I don't how many passages we are going to get on test day. I think it is good to know it anyway. I am not spending too much time on it though

I had only two, and most of the questions were more biochemistry type, too. But I also got the feeling that PS was biased toward physics just as much as BS is to bio.

It's just a shot in the dark... if you want that 12+, you still have to know orgo like the back of your hand. If you just want a 10, you might be fine with just the basics.

I had only two, and most of the questions were more biochemistry type, too. But I also got the feeling that PS was biased toward physics just as much as BS is to bio.

It's just a shot in the dark... if you want that 12+, you still have to know orgo like the back of your hand. If you just want a 10, you might be fine with just the basics.

I agree

It is being replaced with genetics, the prep companies should definitly think about adding more genetic content in their test-prep material, the only company that I have seen do a good job with this is Gold standard they try to include a lot of genetics passages in their test.

It is being replaced with genetics, the prep companies should definitly think about adding more genetic content in their test-prep material, the only company that I have seen do a good job with this is Gold standard they try to include a lot of genetics passages in their test.

Not fair not fair. Med schools all require a year of this stuff, and after all that work, there's only ONE passage on it? ARRRGH!

I'm so much better at it than at bio too. Sigh.

I'm so much better at it than at bio too. Sigh.

I think that's the problem...orgo tends to be an easier subject for many people, so they don't want to give away all those points. I think its silly that they'd stress something like physics more than ochem though, since while they are both mostly irrelevant for our future practice, physics seems more so. But the MCAT is openly nothing more than a weed-out tool, so there you have it.

I felt like chemistry was more stressed than physics on my exam, and while my test only had 1 orgo passage there were others on the same test day that had 2. Every exam is goin to be different, but it seems like orgo is being a bit de-emphasized. It would be silly not to know it cold though.

You have to be ready for anything. While its true that it seems that more people are getting exams with less orgo on them, mine had 4 orgo passages and about 6 discretes...I'm pretty sure my exam was probably a curveball, but you have to be ready!

From reading what recent MCATers have said, it seems that there has been only one org passage on the MCAT.

I saw two back in August.

Anybody have any comments because I am thinking about just brushing up on it since it seems not to be a major part of the test and I would get more bang for my buck by studying elsewhere.

Yeah, all I did was brush up on how to do fischer projections and other stereochem stuff. That was it, and I think I did okay.