Where have all the applicants gone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc7721

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, where are the posts about interviews, post-interview impressions of programs, etc.?

We're at least halfway through the interview season for many and all I can hear are the crickets chirping (and long threads about MS3s :))

Is it that there is an interview feedback section? (unlikely considering there are only about 10 posts from this year)

Is it because you think this site sucks (apologies moderators), is a waste of time, dominated by a few prolific posters??

Is it out of fear that PDs will figure out who you are, or somehow your opinions will be tied to you and hurt your chances of getting in?? (If that's the case, I'd like to hear a reasonable explanation as to how that can happen)

Are people just PMing and avoiding threads alltogether??

Don't want to start a thread and have it deteriorate into something completely different??

I know there are MS4s out there somewhere. What's the deal?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you seen this thread? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=562613

Traffic at SDN has gone up steadily every year of its existence, including in the Surgery forums. But traditionally, applicants here do not post about their interview experiences very broadly. As a matter of fact, if you read my post in the above thread, you will see I (incorrectly) predicted that the thread would be a bust. A 4 page interview thread in the Surgery forums IS much more than applicants have written in the past. Last year I offered to post interview reviews for posters anonymously (after some had expressed concern about PDs finding out who they were) and I received very little interest so I had no impetus to do it again this year.

I have always assumed the reason for few interview threads was fear of being found out and surgeon's natural tendency to be a bit mistrusting.

However, IMHO your post implies that you believe this forum to be unwelcoming or that it is "ruled" by a few individuals. That is not our intent, but frankly, this is no different than most of the other forums here on SDN where there are regulars who do most of the posting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let it be known that WS will accept no dissent on her forum!

Dissent is ok, as long as you recognize who's in charge here. ;) I'm not always right, am frequently wrong, but I think it clear that students HAVE posted interview reviews here and that those who don't are fearful of being found out or are too busy. The OP may not believe it, but users have, in the past, posted enough information about themselves, that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who they are.

Honestly, I think this forum is much more welcoming to newbies than some of the others on SDN (cough cough Anesthesia cough). But its a bit disingenuous for a poster with less than 100 posts in 5 years of membership to complain about the forum sucking and having the same old people always posting. If users don't like the forum or the threads, then they should contribute items on topics they are interested in, IMHO.

Last year when I was applying I searched the site over and PM'd and posted threads. I was kinda hoping to be able to pay it back this year, but I didn't come across that many opportunities with applicants. I think medical students are dumb not to utilize this resource.

its a bit disingenuous for a poster with less than 100 posts in 5 years of membership to complain about the forum sucking and having the same old people always posting. If users don't like the forum or the threads, then they should contribute items on topics they are interested in, IMHO.

Hey there WS, my post had some harsh questions no doubt, but I'm one of the people that LIKES this site. If you read my 94 (now 95) posts, I think they are mostly responsive and directly respond to someones question, criticism or inquiry.

I do not think that I am lacking in frankness, candor or sincerity. My post was dripping with it.

When I asked "Is it because you think this site sucks (apologies moderators), is a waste of time, dominated by a few prolific posters??", I suppose I could have watered it down and asked instead, "is it because you don't like this site, find that it is not worth your time, or that the majority of posts are written by a small group of people?" I choose to avoid this kind of soft language and get to the point. Wouldn't want anyone mistrusting my motives.

I also don't complain in the form of questions. If I didn't like this forum, I would say so outright.

I read (and posted in) the thread you referenced. You are correct, you were wrong to predict its demise. That thread is comprised mostly of a list of interview dates, with some other questions interspersed, but not one single post about an interview experience.

If the number of posts from an individual somehow reflects on their ingenuousness (or disingenousness) then I will get right on posting lots of emoticons to get that number up!

The number of posts from me does not reflect the actual number of visits or the number of posts I read on this site, nor the quality of posts. Did you apply this kind of logic in the presidential election and pick McCain because he clearly had more years of experience, had more bills to his name, or was there more to it than just a number.

Hey there WS, my post had some harsh questions no doubt, but I'm one of the people that LIKES this site. If you read my 94 (now 95) posts, I think they are mostly responsive and directly respond to someones question, criticism or inquiry.

I do not think that I am lacking in frankness, candor or sincerity. My post was dripping with it.

I have read your previous posts and I never accused you of lacking in candor, sincerity or frankness.

When I asked "Is it because you think this site sucks (apologies moderators), is a waste of time, dominated by a few prolific posters??", I suppose I could have watered it down and asked instead, "is it because you don't like this site, find that it is not worth your time, or that the majority of posts are written by a small group of people?" I choose to avoid this kind of soft language and get to the point. Wouldn't want anyone mistrusting my motives.

Which is exactly my point. Since you did not water down the language, one can only assume that it is YOU who feels this site sucks, is not worth your time and that the majority of posts are written by a small number of people. I am open to suggestions about how to improve the forum

I also don't complain in the form of questions. If I didn't like this forum, I would say so outright.

That may be true but your earlier comment seems to imply that you have at least considered some of the criticisms to be true.

If the number of posts from an individual somehow reflects on their ingenuousness (or disingenousness) then I will get right on posting lots of emoticons to get that number up!

The number of posts from me does not reflect the actual number of visits or the number of posts I read on this site, nor the quality of posts.

Obviously...some of the most prolific posters on SDN are so because of post padding threads without any real content. I realize that many users lurk and do not post. But since it is true that you have not been very active in posting threads or responses one would say that you haven't much right to complain about the direction or tone of this forum if you don't participate actively.

Your question actually shows that aren't familiar with the history of SDN. You seem to believe that the traffic is slower (which is not true) and that dislike of SDN and the Surgery forum is the reason users don't post interview experiences. If you are really as active as you claim to be, you will see that this is nothing new. Surgery forum users have NEVER been as interested in posting interview experiences as those in the EM or FM forums. Perhaps it is the nature of surgeons, perhaps it is they are too busy. We don't know the real reason (except anecdotes I get from users who know that PDs and the ABS monitor this forum - including one of YOUR attendings, a good friend of mine ;) ). I offered to make it easier for users last year to post anonymous interview experiences...a few took me up on it, but the vast majority did not. I haven't any other ideas about how to increase interest in this topic but am willing to listen to suggestions.

Did you apply this kind of logic in the presidential election and pick McCain because he clearly had more years of experience, had more bills to his name, or was there more to it than just a number.

Well, that's about as far out of left field as I can imagine. I think I've been fairly clear about my political leanings here and you couldn't be more wrong. Personal attacks (even if they are grossly inaccurate) are inappropriate and I suggest you reconsider as it only weakens your argument.

I have read your previous posts and I never accused you of lacking in candor, sincerity or frankness.

..one can only assume that it is YOU who feels this site sucks, is not worth your time and that the majority of posts are written by a small number of people.

But since it is true that you have not been very active in posting threads or responses one would say that you haven't much right to complain about the direction or tone of this forum if you don't participate actively.

You seem to believe that the traffic is slower (which is not true) and that dislike of SDN and the Surgery forum is the reason users don't post interview experiences. Surgery forum users have NEVER been as interested in posting interview experiences as those in the EM or FM forums.

lacking in candor, sincerity and frankness is the definition of disingenous and you did accuse me of being disingenuous.

I do not think this site sucks. Period. I have never stated this, and my question did NOT ask if other people think it sucks, or if they think it also sucks, which would have implied that I think this site sucks, which I don't. I am sorry that I made you assume something that isn't true.

I do think that the majority of posts are from a relatively small number of people. You assumed correctly in this instance. But.....I didn't make a judgement about this fact. I was asking people if they thought this might be reason why people don't post interview experiences.

Do you believe that I have no right to complain about the direction or tone of this forum?? I didn't complain and I don't complain in the form of questions. And what exactly constitutes actively. Since a specific numerical value can be ascribed to an individual poster, what is the number neede to have the right to complain.

I absolutely did not state that I believe traffic is slower. I asked the moderators what traffic was like, and in fact, I included more, same and less in that sentence. I also did not state that dislike of SDN is the reason why people don't post interview experiences. I was asking if it was a number of factors: interview feedback section, dislike, not worth their time, fear of being found out, PMing and not posting.

YOUR friend at MY program--I have no problem with anyone canvassing, monitoring, trolling, whatever. I fully support googling, checking myspace & facebook & forums. But anonymity is so easy. I would like to know if they, you, or any of the faculty types here or anywhere have deliberately found out anyone because of something they posted. Yes it's possible to discover who someone is if they are sloppy, but I wonder if this is more of a perceived threat to applicant's chances than a reality.

lacking in candor, sincerity and frankness is the definition of disingenous and you did accuse me of being disingenuous.

You're right...I stand corrected. I forgot I had used that term.

I do not think this site sucks. Period. I have never stated this, and my question did NOT ask if other people think it sucks, or if they think it also sucks, which would have implied that I think this site sucks, which I don't. I am sorry that I made you assume something that isn't true.

I have stated that your post, with its criticisms, implies that you believe these criticisms. It is favored activity of users of internet BBs to post for "friends" or to make statements that they believe but attribute to others so as to not catch heat for their statements. I apologize if I wrongly assumed this to be true about you, but you should be aware of the tendency of others to believe this.

I do think that the majority of posts are from a relatively small number of people. You assumed correctly in this instance. But.....I didn't make a judgement about this fact. I was asking people if they thought this might be reason why people don't post interview experiences.

I never disagreed with you on that fact. It is true that the majority of posts here are by the same users. This is true for ALL internet forums. Big woop. Again, you may not be making judgements, but I'll assure you that others besides me made the same assumption about your statement that I did.

Do you believe that I have no right to complain about the direction or tone of this forum?? I didn't complain and I don't complain in the form of questions. And what exactly constitutes actively. Since a specific numerical value can be ascribed to an individual poster, what is the number neede to have the right to complain.

Absolutely not. You have the right to complain. However, rather than complain, it seems to me to be better to participate in the forum and make change rather than sit around and complain about it. Random complaints from a single user or two are generally ignored because they aren't seen as representative of the user group as a whole.

Clearly you know I cannot give you an absolute number at which someone is "active" but let's say for argument that less than 20 posts per year is NOT it. As a matter of fact, you have to have at least 100 posts per year to even be considered for a member service badge.

YOUR friend at MY program--I have no problem with anyone canvassing, monitoring, trolling, whatever. I fully support googling, checking myspace & facebook & forums. But anonymity is so easy. I would like to know if they, you, or any of the faculty types here or anywhere have deliberately found out anyone because of something they posted. Yes it's possible to discover who someone is if they are sloppy, but I wonder if this is more of a perceived threat to applicant's chances than a reality.

It has happened under two circumstances:

1) isolated anecdotal instances reported by SDN users which I cannot verify;

2) instances in which SDN has been subpeonaed for information when users posted classified or copywritten material

I agree, the perceived threat by users is blown WAY out of proportion. Most PDs and faculty members do not have the time to sift through all the threads and figure out who someone is. If a user is stupid enough to post something clearly identifying, then we cannot protect them to.

I'm sorry if I assumed something about you that wasn't true.

OK - as an applicant. I feel that I have much different views of what I find good/bad/ugly in a particular program. I have interveiwed at places that I am NOT going to rank and I have talked with others who felt that that was a "middle (to good) of the road" program. I think that it is hard for me especially because I am a very opion-happy person who makes no bones about some things. I think that I scare some people off.

I would be more than willing to share my experiences anon. Mostly because I have a lot of people in other forums here who know me personally.

I also think that the interview feedback section sucks. No one really takes the time to fill in all of the options, let alone give comments on what they saw. I have found it less than useful even though I had high hopes for the feedback.

And I don't find this forum intimidating ** any more. I found as a third year that I was reluctant to post here due to my baby-clerkship status. However, now that I have received/interviewed at a decent # of programs in GS, and am fairly sure of matching at one of my top places then I am no longer as apprehensive.

Is it that there is an interview feedback section? (unlikely considering there are only about 10 posts from this year)

Is it because you think this site sucks (apologies moderators), is a waste of time, dominated by a few prolific posters??

Is it out of fear that PDs will figure out who you are, or somehow your opinions will be tied to you and hurt your chances of getting in?? (If that's the case, I'd like to hear a reasonable explanation as to how that can happen)

Are people just PMing and avoiding threads alltogether??

Don't want to start a thread and have it deteriorate into something completely different??

None of these are the reasons why I haven 't posted...I've interviewed at 8 programs thus far. That's a lot to write about...and besides...details will get lost in the generalizations I will make. So, is there a particular program that you would like to discuss? A particular impression you've had and you'd like to see if it is echoed in others?

I think this stuff goes in waves. This is a year that many folks just don't have much to say. I do know that some of my colleagues have checked out websites like myspace and Facebook to see if there's anything derogatory on those sites (I don't have that kind of time).

You can look at some of the past interview posts and match posts to see if you can make contact with some of those folks as you go through the interview process or you can post some of your experiences and see if others follow suit.

I can tell you that most prospective employers are checking internet websites for information on prospective applicants and why would residency programs be any different? Unless someone has something out there that is hugely problematic/illegal/dishonest, what difference does it make?

It does seem that interest in posting interview experiences has just waned over the past couple of years. I can't explain it but it just has. Even many folks who were in the application process a couple of years ago don't post nearly as much (busy I would guess).

I was posting in that thread but now that I'm actually interviewing I don't have the time, and any rating I do is confined to residencyadvisor.info

it's a crazy busy time and I don't have any portable internet whatsoever, so when I finally get some place with a computer my first priority is the Thank-you letters and jotting what notes I have for februrary ROL ruminations. Honestly, I have had a hell of a time finding any deal-makers/breakers while perusing hospitals. All 35 or so interviewers I have had were friendly and conversational. A handful drew from the classic question bag, but no surprises there. The only school I really do not plan on ranking is my home school. From my 5 months on service, the residents always look miserable and hunted. Most (each class has its exceptions) of the chiefs I have come across have been jerks. Maybe the grass just seems greener at other schools, but I know the culture at this one is quite negative. I'll take my chances.