Where/how do I start?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knowthyself

The Underdog
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I cant describe enough, how happy I am to have found this forum! It feels good when you know you are not alone! & there is so much help!
I have a Bachelors degree(Zoology major) and a Masters in Computer Science; both from India. I came to the US not more than 6 years. I looked up for the pre-reqs on a medical school website and decided to go for credential evaluation(which btw sucks coz I have been trying to get all the 'required documents' from India for the past month and still dont have my evaluation!). I think I have covered few of the pre-reqs during my Bachelors hence looking fwd for waivers. I am planning to take rest of the courses at a local Community College. Volunteering at a hospital and shadowing a Doctor are on the list. After a year or so, I intend to start preparing for MCAT.
Have I got it right so far? I am sure I am missing something. Is there a thread which lays out steps of how to proceed? Is a high school advisor/counselor the right person to talk to? Or should I visit a state univ? I am not completely aware of the school/college systems here. The title of the post sounds naive; almost lost, I should have had all the info by now, but I agree, I dont. Looking forward for your guidance.
TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, I cant describe enough, how happy I am to have found this forum! It feels good when you know you are not alone! & there is so much help!
I have a Bachelors degree(Zoology major) and a Masters in Computer Science; both from India. I came to the US not more than 6 years. I looked up for the pre-reqs on the UCSF website and decided to go for credential evaluation with WES(which btw sucks coz I have been trying to get all the 'required documents' from India for the past month and still dont have my evaluation!). I think I have covered few of the pre-reqs during my Bachelors hence looking fwd for waivers. I am planning to take rest of the courses at a local Community College. Volunteering at a hospital and shadowing a Doctor are on the list. After a year or so, I intend to start preparing for MCAT.
Have I got it right so far? I am sure I am missing something. Is there a thread which lays out steps of how to proceed? Is a high school advisor/counselor the right person to talk to? Or should I visit a state univ? I am not completely aware of the school/college systems here. The title of the post sounds naive; almost lost, I should have had all the info by now, but I agree, I dont. Looking forward for your guidance.
TIA.

Hi welcome to the zone of late bloomers. I can understand that this process does seem to be a lot intimidating when you start out. Dont worry it will ease out eventually (or should I say you will get used to being intimidated all the time..:p).

I think you have lot of stuff right. Though i do have my $ 0.02. I would strongly advise you to not waste your time in trying to get med schools to give you waivers for ANY classes you took in India. Its their policy to not consider foreign classes/grades and they will not change it for you. You should meet up with your local 4 yr univ/college pre-med advisor or admission counslor and map up your courses/schedule. Its going to hurt a lot to sit in classes that you have already taken but you would HAVE to do it if you want to be a doctor. Case in point, for US allopathic schools you are practically a high school graduate with no classes at college level. If you can, stay away from community college classes as it is generally agreed upon in sdn that they are frowned upon by adcom's. You might also want to look into DO and Carib. Schools as they are two other options (back-up plans) besides the US allopathic schools. Rest just keep your head down and eyes & ears open there is lot of information available what it eventually takes is extreme dedication and hard work as admission to US allopathic schools is EXTREMLY competitive.:luck:

I think you have lot of stuff right. Though i do have my $ 0.02. I would strongly advise you to not waste your time in trying to get med schools to give you waivers for ANY classes you took in India. Its their policy to not consider foreign classes/grades and they will not change it for you. You should meet up with your local 4 yr univ/college pre-med advisor or admission counslor and map up your courses/schedule. Its going to hurt a lot to sit in classes that you have already taken but you would HAVE to do it if you want to be a doctor. Case in point, for US allopathic schools you are practically a high school graduate with no classes at college level. If you can, stay away from community college classes as it is generally agreed upon in sdn that they are frowned upon by adcom's. You might also want to look into DO and Carib. Schools as they are two other options (back-up plans) besides the US allopathic schools. Rest just keep your head down and eyes & ears open there is lot of information available what it eventually takes is extreme dedication and hard work as admission to US allopathic schools is EXTREMLY competitive.:luck:

I'd concur in general, also I suggest that you go to aamc.org and look around to get more info on the process. And purchase or review at a library the "MSAR" (medical school admissions requirements I think) which is put out by the aamc, this has very specific, good info about applying, the applicant body, etc.

I'm not sure if med schools will require you to redo science courses, most likely some will accept some/all courses completed in India, other schools will not. It is probably not a bad thing that you may have to "redo" courses here in the US in that you'll be very well prepared to earn top grades in your courses, typically to be accepted at med school, the majority of undergraduate grades in every subject needs to be "a's". Shadowing and volunteering are not bad to do, every med school I've spoken with would be fine with a year or so volunteer medical experience so it's not essential to start that now, it is much more important now to earn top grades in every class. Best of luck & welcome to the forum!