Where I'm At and Where I'm Headed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2PacClone23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So its about the end of March 2010 and of course, the new cycle is coming upon us for the first-timers like me. I just wanna lay everything out here and you guys tell me your opinions about where I'm headed and if I should tweak anything...

1) I've secured 3 LOR's from a biology professor, an oceanography professor, and my local dentist that I have volunteered, shadowed, and assisted over 400 hours or so. I'll get their letters in the month of April and I will ship them out BEFORE the June 3rd application opening (that's what you're supposed to do right?)

2) As for my grades, they're not superb, but its about a 3.1 right now, but with my other courses from other colleges, the total AADSAS will be somewhere around 3.3-3.4

3) As for my DAT, I took it last year, and I got 19AA 17BIO 22GC 17OC 19PAT 24RC and 17QR. Not horrible, but not superb either. I plan on retaking this on July 20th, which is about 1.5 months after I submit my AADSAS application. Will my application be put on hold, as I have had applied June 3rd or will it be considered a July 20th applicant? Or will they just go ahead and use my OLD DAT scores and evaluate until my July scores come out? This is probably the part that confuses me the most

4) I haven't even thought about what I'm gonna write for my Personal Statement nor do I know how long it should be or the details. What are the parameters of the personal statement and you're supposed to just copy and paste it into the AADSAS application right once it's available???

5) I still plan on doing well from here onward, my spring quarter, until fall quarter of next year (senior year) because I want to use my spring, summer and fall grades into the "Academic Update" which I'm sure will raise my GPA if I don't get automatic Dec. 1st acceptances.

6) I plan on applying to pretty much every school in california, arizona, nevada, and you know, states near by. I really wanna go to Western U or USC because they're the closest (location wise to family and such).

Am I on the right route?

Members don't see this ad.

So its about the end of March 2010 and of course, the new cycle is coming upon us for the first-timers like me. I just wanna lay everything out here and you guys tell me your opinions about where I'm headed and if I should tweak anything...

1) I've secured 3 LOR's from a biology professor, an oceanography professor, and my local dentist that I have volunteered, shadowed, and assisted over 400 hours or so. I'll get their letters in the month of April and I will ship them out BEFORE the June 3rd application opening (that's what you're supposed to do right?)

If they are doing paper letters, they need to send them to AADSAS with the LOR matching form, which isn't available until the app opens. And if they're doing electronic letters (much easier, IMO), they have to wait til it opens to send it. Either way, you can't do much with LORs before the cycle starts.

2) As for my grades, they're not superb, but its about a 3.1 right now, but with my other courses from other colleges, the total AADSAS will be somewhere around 3.3-3.4

3) As for my DAT, I took it last year, and I got 19AA 17BIO 22GC 17OC 19PAT 24RC and 17QR. Not horrible, but not superb either. I plan on retaking this on July 20th, which is about 1.5 months after I submit my AADSAS application. Will my application be put on hold, as I have had applied June 3rd or will it be considered a July 20th applicant? Or will they just go ahead and use my OLD DAT scores and evaluate until my July scores come out? This is probably the part that confuses me the most

Your app will still be at the "top of the pile" as far as mail outs if you submit early...with AADSAS processing, the first mailing date was at the end of the month, and then add on the time the mail takes, plus the time it takes schools to process/get everything organized...it will probably be about 6-8 weeks or so after the cycle opens that schools will start giving out interviews. Your DAT timing should be fine and still in the "early group".

4) I haven't even thought about what I'm gonna write for my Personal Statement nor do I know how long it should be or the details. What are the parameters of the personal statement and you're supposed to just copy and paste it into the AADSAS application right once it's available???

4500 characters, spaces included. And yes, just copy and paste. I would do it in a simple word processor like Notepad to make sure you don't get any fancy symbols in there like with MS word that might not translate over to the AADSAS form. Just make sure you double check it after you copy and paste.

5) I still plan on doing well from here onward, my spring quarter, until fall quarter of next year (senior year) because I want to use my spring, summer and fall grades into the "Academic Update" which I'm sure will raise my GPA if I don't get automatic Dec. 1st acceptances.

6) I plan on applying to pretty much every school in california, arizona, nevada, and you know, states near by. I really wanna go to Western U or USC because they're the closest (location wise to family and such).

Am I on the right route?

If you're sure about the AADSAS GPA being 3.3-3.4, that should be fine as long as you do pretty well on your DAT retake. Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say much regarding your GPA and DAT scores because everyone's strengths lie in different places, but I firmly believe that your personal statement should be what knocks you out of the park. While sometimes you ("you" generally, not "you" specifically) can't help your grades/DAT (bad day/month/year), you can make your statement perfect. It took me about two months to polish it off to the point that I was satisfied with how it sounded.

Start writing your statement now. Give it to friends, parents, professors and ask for honest opinions. Read it aloud to see if it makes sense. Make it unique and authentic and fun to read. Everything else is just numbers and "fill in the blanks" on the applications, but the statement will bring you out.

I can't say much regarding your GPA and DAT scores because everyone's strengths lie in different places, but I firmly believe that your personal statement should be what knocks you out of the park. While sometimes you ("you" generally, not "you" specifically) can't help your grades/DAT (bad day/month/year), you can make your statement perfect. It took me about two months to polish it off to the point that I was satisfied with how it sounded.

I agree completely with what was stated above. My grades/DAT score were not the best, however, during my interview one of the interviewers stated that my personal statement blew him away.

I had my biology professor (who wrote one of my recommendations and her husband's a dentist) read it before I submitted my AADSAS and offer me any advice/critiques. I took her suggestions and tweaked it a little. I told about my background, why I was interested in dentistry, and what I thought I could bring to the profession.

Grades/DAT scores are important, however, I feel that the personal statement is your chance to really tell the adcom why you will be an asset to their school and the dental profession.

Good luck with everything :thumbup: