Where is a good place to live? (UHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiesty4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am going to go to UHS next fall. I have no idea where to live? Century Towers? University Towers? Can any current or new UHS students give me any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

public housing projects are very close..

I've been searching a little on forrent.com to get an idea before I fly out there in the Spring to get a place. Those Towers? Remember them across form the school- an old hospital converted into apartments. Not the best neighborhood.
I have friends that live North of KC in Riverside, which is about 10-15 min. from school. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The apts across the street are practical, but we all saw the neighborhood. Not so great....I'll probably go check out forrent.com though...

How is the drive from Downtown to UHS? University towers seems like a good place if the commute isn't horrible. Anyone have any ideas??

The commute from downtown is about five minutes. The neighborhood isn't the best, but the new apartments across the street look really nice. There is also a police and fire station being put in the lower floor of the building, BTW. The projects are right behind the school, that is true, but they're the nicest housing projects I've ever seen. Last year the city invested about 60 million dollars (I think) in rehabilitating them. In fact, the government is pouring a lot of money into the neighborhood ever since Cliff Drive was designated a scenic byway. I live about a mile and a half from school on Gladstone Blvd. It's a really nice neighborhood with big fancy houses. There's also some houses that are rented out as apartments. I have to say that I really love living close to school. I wake up 20 minutes before our 8:00 class, and I can come home over the lunch hour and eat at home. It's quite nice. I suggest looking around school.

Hi folks,
Thought I would see if I could help. I am the UHS internet ambassodor and would love to address any questions you have. First of all, Do you have kids? Are you married? What do you want out of an Apt., good Neighborhood or just a place to sleep? I live in Mission, KS, and it takes me 15 mins to get to class. It is a bit expensive, but it is good for my family. North of the river seems to be a hot spot for my class, but it can be a long drive, especially around the Missouri river bridge. I suggest going to KC and finding apartment search (you probably received their packet at the interview), and finding what you want(ammenities and price) Then visit it. If I can help with anything else let me know.

I lived in Westport and north of the plaza when I went there.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am thinking about finding a roommate from the UHS roommate list and then calling apartment search to find the right place. Is there an area that many UHS students live? North of the River? Westport? Are there any apartment buildings that stink?

Hey fiesty,
Have you already received the roomate list from UHS? I sent in my deposit about a week ago. I was just wondering if they sent out that info. after they received your deposit.

Hey BamaAlum,

No. UHS doesn't send it automatically. I had to ask the Office of Admissions to send me one. The list right now is really short. It's like me and one other person. But anyways, I hope this helps.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents since I go to UHS (I'm a first year). I live in Bennington Ridge Apartments which is right off of 435 Hwy. by Worlds of Fun. It is about a 15 minute drive to school in rush hour (you have to cross the Missouri River by the Paseo Bridge and now, I think, a new bridge opened- The Chouteau Bridge, which will help Bennington Ridge people to get to school even quicker). These apartments give UHS students really good moving in deals (I got 1 month free rent), since about 40-45% of the apartment population is UHS students. They are very nice apartments (either 1 bed, 2 bed/1 bath, or 2 bed/2 bath). I think the best aspect of the apartments is the 150 acre park that is right across the street (which is a great place to get outside and walk- trust me, you'll need it). I would say the majority of the students live somewhere north of the river. The number to Bennington Ridge Apartments' office is (816)455-1551. Hope this helps and by the way, you all that are going to attend UHS next year may want to read the little advice I wrote on another post on the Osteopathic section (I think it's under UHS Class of 2006). Take care!

-Nathan Box
UHS '05

gee, dorothy, maybe coming from a larger city really did help me in finding a place to live....

I go to UHS like nathan and drew, and like drew, I live near the school. I've never seen a police car in my neighborhood, nor a fight/rape/murder, etc. and it sure is nice that on a day when I forget to wear shorts for OPP, I can walk home and get a pair, unlike students who are forced to drive 20 minutes each way.

I also would recommend looking around the school...there's enough to do first year without having to drive a ton, too.

electra