Where is everyone applying????

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemgirlie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I was just wondering where everyone will be applying this fall?? Are you guys as excited as I am???? :) As for me I'm applying to Nova, SCO, and PCO.
Writing all these essays is torture! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying to Nova, SCO and UHCO. I've been putting the essays off, but I'm going to force myself to have a rough draft before Friday :mad:

jopt
which school is your first choice? I finally visited Nova and it was AWESOME! It's definitely now my number one pick. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Until recently SCO was my first choice, but now I?m leaning more towards the other two. UHCO is a great school, and Nova looks pretty cool.
Can you tell me a little about what you saw at Nova? The school has a website about out-of-campus living, and the apartment complexes close to the school look awesome.

UHCO, ICO, NEWENCO, and SUNY
UHCO is my #1 choice since I"m doing my undergrad right here at UH.
OAT studying however is not :( fun

I'm applying to SCO and OSU and maybe another if I want to front the money for application and interview. I actually have everything done, but I want to shadow my home optometrist before I go any further with the OSU app.

I was actualyl looking for some OAT advice as well. I noticed in something for SCO that they prefer that your OAT scores and tightly packed, whereas mine are spread from 300-390. I got a 350 overall, and the scores dropped as the test went on due to the fact I had bronchitis and the Advil wore off. Another consideration would be that I will be taking a math class for the first time in 5 years this year and that was my 300. Also i have completed 2 semesters of physics, whereas when i took the OAT i only had 1/2 of a semester finished (got a 330). Those 2 scores would prolly improve, but my everything else would tumble down.
Anyone have any advice on if i should retake to see if i can get all the scores closer, or just rest on the laurels of my 350?

UHCO, SUNY, SCO, and Berkeley. I agree w/ Simisn...studying for the OAT is the pits!

J.opt said:
Until recently SCO was my first choice, but now I?m leaning more towards the other two. UHCO is a great school, and Nova looks pretty cool.
Can you tell me a little about what you saw at Nova? The school has a website about out-of-campus living, and the apartment complexes close to the school look awesome.
All I can say is the pictures on the website DO NOT do Nova justice!!They must spend a fortune on landscaping-it's gorgeous. About the dorms, they are the most impressive dorms I've ever seen, the outside is in a meditrannean style;however, they are actually further from the optometry school than off campus apartments. Also, it's actually around the same price to live in an apartment, and the apartments are literally right across a two lane street from the opt school. It would probably take you 3 minutes to walk there, it's that close. The apartments are REALLY nice too and the school is in a very nice part of town, unlike SCO. I also got to have a one on one talk with the admissions counselor and she was very nice and helpful. She said the interview is VERY important, so if you get one prepare for it!

SUNY, SCCO, Berkeley (maybe), PCO (maybe)

The first two are neck and neck. Stay in Cali or move to the Big Apple? Hmm...first I've got to get in.

Random question....how are you all applying, online or written application..and are you typing your applications or printing them? I don't know if it matters. I was told to type it but I don't have a typewriter and that seems like such a hassle. I don't want to not get in because I didn't type my application or something.. Let me know what's up. Thanks! :)

There were on online apps when I applied so they were all written.

I handwrote most of mine cuz they were too complicated to try to type (no typewriter)... but make sure you write NEATLY!! And, if I screwed up I printed out a new page rather than use white out since white out looks cheesy.

I don't think it matters as long as you keep it neat !!

Good luck !!

Sorry, this is like a separate question.... for the interviews, do you know if optometry schools usually fly you, or are you supposed to pay your own way? Thanks.

I believe you need to fly on your own bill, which will once again make me stretch my money for next year. I'll have to give up oatmeal cream pies again. darn.

i don't know of anyone who flies you in..... that would be sweet though. if you don't want to pay to fly, don't apply to so many schools. problem solved.

Hello:

Another option is that you can ask the optometry school if a representative or a local graduate can interview you at your undergraduate school. I was interviewed by Dr. Johnston from SUNY at my school in October to avoid flying to NY when I had classes. I eventually made the trip to SUNY to get a campus tour during Christmas break. I found the personal interview with him to be really easy and enjoyable. I was offered a $5,000 scholarship to go to SUNY because of that interivew. :)

It doesn't hurt to ask! All the interview packets I received included discount hotel offers and some included airline suggestions.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

I know that some universities will pay for your travel expenses if you prove that you can?t afford to travel. However I don?t know of any opt schools that do this.