Where is Penn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus

FTSM!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
not with regards to location (don't try that joke here, folks :cool: ) but interview invites? I mean, it's been two months since anyone on here heard anything and well, that's a long time to review applications.

Neuronix, you have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Which department are you applying for and when were you complete? I can pry for you if you're too shy to ask Mary or Maggie yourself. Have you asked them recently? They don't bite ;)

Which department are you applying for and when were you complete? I can pry for you if you're too shy to ask Mary or Maggie yourself. Have you asked them recently? They don't bite ;)

I'm applying for neuroscience. I spoke with them waaaaay back in early November and they said that they had not reviewed my file then. (I think I was complete late October or perhaps the first week of November.) They are super nice over in the MD/PhD office... I just hate being "that girl" who bugs the **** out of them all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, since it's been a month, I would drop by or call and ask them. I doubt they even remember you asking the last time by now.

That being said, the next Neuro interview date is Feb 1-2. It may have been that you missed their application review cutoff for the first Neuro date and have postponed reviewing your app or notifying you of an interview until closer to then. That's probably the most I can tell you. If you got rejected, they may not say a thing to you until March unless you ask them.

I'm waiting to hear from penn as well. My app has been complete since late august. When do they reject from the MSTP?

Also, I didn't realize they interview based off of graduate department. If knew that going in, I would have chosen a different department. Do you think it's worthwhile to ask them to change the grad dept that I'm applying for?

I'm waiting to hear from penn as well. My app has been complete since late august. When do they reject from the MSTP?

I think that if you're rejected without an interview you won't get notified until March, much like the MD applicants, but I'm not sure about that. You could call and ask your status.

Also, I didn't realize they interview based off of graduate department. If knew that going in, I would have chosen a different department. Do you think it's worthwhile to ask them to change the grad dept that I'm applying for?

What is your concern here? The actual graduate group usually has little say in who actually gets chosen. The MD/PhD program does that and it's not based on which graduate program you chose (with some subtleties if you're not choosing a basic science department). The graduate group you chose to interview with is more so that they can pick the right mixture of faculty, students, and tours to convince you to come to the school if they choose to interview you. The decision to accept you will still be based off of your app and your interview with one of the program directors.

What is your concern here?

The number of people they select to interview at each "graduate group" date....is it different depending on which group? ie. Would it be harder to get an interview in the first place if you chose a certain graduate group?

Would it be harder to get an interview in the first place if you chose a certain graduate group?

An interesting question. I think the answer is no because the numbers of people interviewing for each group and accepted from each group fluctuates from year to year (like there is no pre-set limit), but I really am not sure.

It also begs the quesiton: which groups would be more competitive than the others?

Well doesn't everyone and their brother apply for CMB or BMB? I'd think competition would be stiff for those two at least.

We maybe have 1 MD/PhD per year in BMB (Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics--the one I'm in), and sometimes not any, and I don't think that's somehow program limited. I honestly don't think there's alot of qualified applicants beating down our door for BMB.

As for CAMB (Cell and Molecular Biology), it works as a catch-all for those who really aren't sure. We interview ~50 of those per year, but that's a reflection that probably half our apps are for CAMB. Quite honestly, I don't see what the difference is. My observation from the physics side of things is that 95% of the research in the MD/PhD program is Cell and Molecular Biology, and if you want to call it Neuroscience or Immunology, so be it. There are times when it seems like CAMB represents 75% of a class and times when they represent a much smaller fraction. It probably goes with some years they get more qualified people in CAMB and take those and some years they get more qualified people who apply in Immuno/Neuro/etc and take less CAMB and more those. Once you're in you can easily switch (I did twice! :laugh:), so this is another reason why I don't think it matters much which you select when you apply.

I've got an interview this Thursday-Saturday at Penn for the Neurosci program...

Neuronix has been around longer than I have, but I haven't gotten any wind of any sort of advantage of applying in one grad group or another either. To be clear, Penn hosts MD/PhD interviewees by graduate group. That is, they'll usually have two CAMB groups, a Neuro group, etc.

The amount of applicants and the amount of admitted seem to fluctuate from year-to-year. For gosh sakes, we even have an Epi PhD this year! Also, Penn is pretty good about allowing you to switch once you enter too. I just don't think it's a big factor.

To all those that are coming this week, try to relax and have a good time. I'll be leading a tour, going out to dinner, and hopefully having lunch with you on Friday. :)

I also think CaipirinhaQuinho is leading the nightlife group. Oh my!

I've got an interview this Thursday-Saturday at Penn for the Neurosci program...

Yeah, the first Neurosci interview is this weekend :) The bigger groups tend to have two interview dates. I figured Severus didn't get her app in in time for this interview.

As an aside, if you can't make the one or two dates for your grad group, they'll have you come with a different group. I've even seen them put together just one person interviewing because of scheduling difficulties.

Usually I lead the nightlife group, because I like talking to total strangers like I do on here and drinking beer which I don't do on SDN so much ;). But, this time I'll be going to the play.

Edit: Just saw your new post after I submitted this one, Severus. You're welcome and good luck!