Where is the cushiest tansitional program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Xavier

I can read your mind
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in So Cal and want to know from residents or applicants what they have heard about Scripps, Harbor/UCLA vs Arrowhead. I really want to know where is the most chill spot.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in So Cal and want to know from residents or applicants what they have heard about Scripps, Harbor/UCLA vs Arrowhead. I really want to know where is the most chill spot.

If you are really in So Cal then you already know....Santa Barbara Cottage is no1 in national surveys for cush.

If you are really in So Cal then you already know....Santa Barbara Cottage is no1 in national surveys for cush.

that's a prelim med program, i believe

Members don't see this ad :)
Q: What's the OPPOSITE of cush for TY programs?
A: UCLA/Harbor

If you really want cush, why not venture out of Cali for a year, there are a lot of VERY CUSH ~40 hours/week TY programs in the middle of the country. I did one, and averaged up my hours over they year, I was somewhere in the low 30s. Rotations like Anethesia, Pain Management, Radiology I wouldn't even show up for, so add 3 months of free vacation to that.

If you really want cush, why not venture out of Cali for a year, there are a lot of VERY CUSH ~40 hours/week TY programs in the middle of the country. I did one, and averaged up my hours over they year, I was somewhere in the low 30s. Rotations like Anethesia, Pain Management, Radiology I wouldn't even show up for, so add 3 months of free vacation to that.

There's a lot to be said for vacation time, and most people will list "survival" as a goal of their intern year ...

... but seriously, how can anyone possibly think that what amounts to a 9-month transitional year (and presumably >50% of that is 9-5/no call) has an educational value comparable to virtually any other internship? I'll be the first to criticize the old school 100-120 hour/week internships as incredibly stupid, but so is a 30 hour/week internship.

Even future ophtho residents (who can forget all medicine except the bits that keep the eyeballs 5' out of the dirt :) ) would be poorly served by such an internship.

There's a lot to be said for vacation time, and most people will list "survival" as a goal of their intern year ...

... but seriously, how can anyone possibly think that what amounts to a 9-month transitional year (and presumably >50% of that is 9-5/no call) has an educational value comparable to virtually any other internship? I'll be the first to criticize the old school 100-120 hour/week internships as incredibly stupid, but so is a 30 hour/week internship.

Even future ophtho residents (who can forget all medicine except the bits that keep the eyeballs 5' out of the dirt :) ) would be poorly served by such an internship.

why suffer when you can enjoy? ;)

why suffer when you can enjoy? ;)

You don't have to suffer to learn, but you do need to be routinely present in a building with sick people. The lazy guy who seeks out a "chill" ~30 hours/week won't even see half the patients someone at a reasonable 60-80 hours/week program will.

You don't have to suffer to learn, but you do need to be routinely present in a building with sick people. The lazy guy who seeks out a "chill" ~30 hours/week won't even see half the patients someone at a reasonable 60-80 hours/week program will.

I totally disagree. When you work 40 hours/week, you are there during business hours when everythign is happening. Plus you have time to read, eat, be healthy.

When I would do a 75 hours a week rotation with Q4 call followed by a 40 hours a week location, I noticed I actually learned/retained more during my 40 hours/week. I'd be awake for all lectures, know my patients in detail, read on weekends, see consults with pleasure, rather than robotically getting myself through the consult because I had 25 hours of call to look forward to.
My transitional year was for a 1+3 Emergency Med program, and I felt VERY PREPARED.
Since then I've changed specialties but that's a different story. ;)

Toxic, if you dont mind my asking, why did you switch from emergency medicine? and to what? curious

Q: What's the OPPOSITE of cush for TY programs?
A: UCLA/Harbor

Sweet I want to do my Transitional year there.

Toxic, if you dont mind my asking, why did you switch from emergency medicine? and to what? curious

I switched to General Surgery. I've posted many times previously about why... There were several reasons, mostly involving love for the OR, desire to have my "own practice," not being second guessed as an ER doc for the rest of my career. The old cliche "If you find anything you love besides surgery" is certainly true. Unfortuantly I coudln't find anything. ER was not an adequate subsititute.

Sweet I want to do my Transitional year there.

Too bad, the program closed its transitional year and now it is the first year for the anesthesia residents, mine was the last class of TYs. :p