Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

where is this magic number coming from?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by buntatog, Nov 30, 2008.

1. buntatog

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello everyone, I've been going over some threads and came across "magic numbers" to match in anesthesia, I've read that you need at least 10 on your ROL and I've seen 8 or 12 as well. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.

2. ryanjmy

10+ Year Member

3. rsgillmd

rsgillmd ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    These numbers have been around for a while. I was told 10, so I was little nervous at 8, but obviously it worked out for me.

I think it comes from the fact that if you look at the number of people that are interviewed at a program and the number of spots the program offers, it is usually a factor of about 10. Example: 7 spots, 70 people interview.

You can find the number of people interviewed on FREIDA, if the program has supplied that information.

4. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

There is a table showing matched/unmatched status for US senior by number of ranks. With 8 ranks, the ratio was 73:2. Of the 529 people with 10 or more ranks, 2 didn't match.

Of course, this data is substantially confounded by the fact that people who get a lot of interviews are both 1) good candidates and 2) good judges of their qualifications. My guess is very few of these people went beyond 5 on their match list.

5. OP
    OP
    buntatog

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    thanks for all the insight. you guys have been really helpful!