** The Offical Osteopathic Underdawgs 2018-2019 **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JowellHollyBuddy33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

Do we have an underdawgs thread for 2018-2019 yet?! Non-trad here, and I’ve been ready to get on board since 2015 and my application cycle is finally HERE. You guys have been an inspiration to many.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
What's up fellow underdog! Wishing us luck this cycle haha

Reactions: 2 users
what is the cut off for underdogs again? I know I'm definitely in the underdog group. *fingers crosses*

Members don't see this ad :)
I think last year was 3.25 or 500 MCAT. Wishing you all the best of luck though.

Yep, underdog here! Good luck to everyone applying!

2.99 uGPA, 3.68 gradGPA, 501 first MCAT attempt. I’m declaring myself an underdog. ;)

I currently have a 2.8 gpa. starting my 4th year of school right now. I still have 40 hours left on my bachelors deggre.( started off pretty slow and lost) Now I am doing better but am a little scared and nervous for the future since all my courses are going to be getting harder starting this semester.

currently retaking my bio 1 course just so I can replace this D with an A.

all the pre med courses I have left are physics 2, both my organic chemistries, and bio chemistry.
will be taking physics 2 and organic chemistry this fall. pretty nervous but I plan on trying my best.

Underdawg life.
3.19cGPA, 3.11sGPC, 3.9pbGPA, 510 MCAT
Sitting on 3 DO IIs right now. Let's get it.

Reactions: 5 users
Underdawg life.

when were you verified and when did you send in your secondaries? I have similar stats.

Reactions: 1 user
when were you verified and when did you send in your secondaries? I have similar stats.

Verified on 05/28/18
The schools I've received II my secondaries were submitted 6/15/18 (included w/ primary), 6/25/18, and 6/28/18.

Super early though --> its a long application cycle!

Definitely feel like I’m in this group too. 3.7 cgpa and sgpa but 501 -> 499 mcat. Hoping to hear some good news once my physician letter is in

How about we make this officially official? haha Here's what @AlteredScale posted last year:

This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond I want us to be able to post anything and have similar individuals comment and provide feedback.

It is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well.

Below is to help those who are applying this year with the new MCAT scoring system (the following assumptions are considered hypothetical as scoring scales vary from test date to test date):

Based on a hypothetical chart showing old (before 2015) MCAT conversions between the estimated scale score (1-15) and the percentiles of each of those scores (0-100), the 50th percentile is a composite score of around 25. So one could consider the individual scores within Verbal Reasoning, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences of 7-8 to be around the 50th percentile as well. So thus we can consider underdawgs to have a composite score that is below the 50th percentile (or around a 24).

So with that in mind, we can consider the 2015 MCAT composite score of 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500 could be considered "underdawg" range (or individual scores below 125).....again, this is VERY hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates).

Perhaps the most difficult of having OK academic stats is getting through the primary and secondary screens to land and interview. In many cases, an interview is a subliminal message from the school that they believe you can succeed in the preclinical and clinical curriculum of medical school.

If you feel any additional information can be added to help those in this situation feel free to PM me or any of the other pre-DO mods.

Previous Underdog Threads:
2017-2018 Underdawgs Thread
2016-2017 Underdawgs Thread
2015-2016 Underdog results

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

kuzy cGPA: 3.2 / sGPA: 3.3 / MCAT: 514 / Submitting AACOMAS by end of July / II: / A: / Upward trend, 3.7 last 90 hours (you could say it was a rough start :laugh:). All around swell guy.

Last edited:
If I had success last year you should be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the ultimate underdog LOL :eek:
3.5/3.3 with 3C’s & 2W’s
MCAT = 500 after 4 attempts :dead:

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure if I'd be considered an underdawg, but I feel a little like one. 3.38 cGPA 3.33 sGPA 503 MCAT, but 1 D in a math class, and 5 Cs in science courses

Wouldn't the greatest underdog be someone with no clinical exposure? I mean if you look at the aamc mcat/gpa grid, people are getting in with numbers all over the place but I would be very surprised if someone got in with no relevant extracurriculars.

checking in

cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512

1 II so far

< 3.0 cGPA / ~3.5 sGPA / 3.9x Post-Bacc / 518 MCAT

Have one II so far for a DO school which I'm thrilled about. I will be verified by AMCAS early this week so we'll see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users
< 3.0 cGPA / ~3.5 sGPA / 3.9x Post-Bacc / 518 MCAT
That's a pretty rare combo to have. On the AAMC aggregated gpa/mcat grid only about a dozen people out of tens of thousands of applicants had that and nearly half got an MD acceptance so you're probably in decent shape if you have an interesting application and interview well.

That's a pretty rare combo to have. On the AAMC aggregated gpa/mcat grid only about a dozen people out of tens of thousands of applicants had that and nearly half got an MD acceptance so you're probably in decent shape if you have an interesting application and interview well.

I'm not trying to get my hopes up, but I saw that as well. I'm hoping my school list was crafted well enough to give me a fighting chance though.

Verified on 05/28/18
The schools I've received II my secondaries were submitted 6/15/18 (included w/ primary), 6/25/18, and 6/28/18.

Super early though --> its a long application cycle!
Texas schools?

I'm not trying to get my hopes up, but I saw that as well. I'm hoping my school list was crafted well enough to give me a fighting chance though.
At long as they reward reinvention you will be set

At long as they reward reinvention you will be set

I basically centered my school list around this. There are a few reach schools that I applied to, but the bulk of schools are ones that are known to do this. Luckily, one of my state schools is a school that is known to reward reinvention so hopefully they'll give me some love! At the end of the day, I just want to be a physician so I'll be extremely happy if I get accepted anywhere because of the major hole I've had to pull myself out of academically.

Applied with a 501 3.6 got like 9-10 DO interviews and was accepted at every program I interviewed at, if you need any advice or help feel free to PM me! good luck :)

Reactions: 4 users
How about we make this officially official? haha Here's what @AlteredScale posted last year:

This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond I want us to be able to post anything and have similar individuals comment and provide feedback.

It is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well.

Below is to help those who are applying this year with the new MCAT scoring system (the following assumptions are considered hypothetical as scoring scales vary from test date to test date):

Based on a hypothetical chart showing old (before 2015) MCAT conversions between the estimated scale score (1-15) and the percentiles of each of those scores (0-100), the 50th percentile is a composite score of around 25. So one could consider the individual scores within Verbal Reasoning, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences of 7-8 to be around the 50th percentile as well. So thus we can consider underdawgs to have a composite score that is below the 50th percentile (or around a 24).

So with that in mind, we can consider the 2015 MCAT composite score of 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500 could be considered "underdawg" range (or individual scores below 125).....again, this is VERY hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates).

Perhaps the most difficult of having OK academic stats is getting through the primary and secondary screens to land and interview. In many cases, an interview is a subliminal message from the school that they believe you can succeed in the preclinical and clinical curriculum of medical school.

If you feel any additional information can be added to help those in this situation feel free to PM me or any of the other pre-DO mods.

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration

kuzy cGPA: 3.2 / sGPA: 3.3 / MCAT: 514 / Submitting AACOMAS by end of July / II: / A: / Upward trend, 3.7 last 90 hours (you could say it was a rough start :laugh:). All around swell guy.
kymedic33 cGPA: 2.79 / sGPA: 2.76 / MCAT: 509 / Verified 5-25-18 / II: LECOM-E / A: / Non-trad paramedic, strong upward trend from a rock bottom GPA. Beginning an SMP in August.

Last edited:
3.1/3.3/517 here

2 DO II so far. One Texas school and one in Arizona.

Does anyone know of a DO "interview tracker" so I don't have to check 14 threads every day? Lol. I know people can be hesitant to share what specific schools they've gotten interviews at too.

3.1/3.3/517 here

2 DO II so far. One Texas school and one in Arizona.

Does anyone know of a DO "interview tracker" so I don't have to check 14 threads every day? Lol. I know people can be hesitant to share what specific schools they've gotten interviews at too.
I posted all of mine last year, and if I turned it down so people could see what was going on

5) Click "Post Reply"

kymedic33 cGPA: 2.79 / sGPA: 2.76 / MCAT: 509 / Verified 5-25-18 / II: LECOM-E / A: / Non-trad paramedic, strong upward trend from a rock bottom GPA. Beginning an SMP in August.
RURF2015 cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512 / AACOMAS Verified 6/20/2018 / II: 1 / A:

cGPA 3.63 / sGPA 3.93 / MCAT: 499 / AACOMAS Verified: 6/08/2018

1 II so far! I'm very excited!

Underdawg life.
what kind of courses did you take in your post bac program?

I hear people talk about smps and post bacs all the time and they always have me wondering what types of courses students take in those programs.

what kind of courses did you take in your post bac program?

I hear people talk about smps and post bacs all the time and they always have me wondering what types of courses students take in those programs.

DIY PB -> Genetics, Endocrine Physiology, Neuroscience, Stem Cell, A&P 1+2

Another underdog (extreme nontrad haha)
3.1 cGPA, 3.2sGPA, 3.75 postbacc, 3.74 SMP, 510 MCAT (x2), verified just recently

Another underdog (extreme nontrad haha)
3.1 cGPA, 3.2sGPA, 3.75 postbacc, 3.74 SMP, 510 MCAT (x2), verified just recently
you did a post bac and an smp?

wow. I thought you can get into schools with a good post bacc gpa like a 3.7

you did a post bac and an smp?

wow. I thought you can get into schools with a good post bacc gpa like a 3.7
A post-bac by itself is not always enough. Smp is an audition for medical school. @CardioEnthusio15 made a strong and clear statement by his performance in the smp they just completed. That makes him more competitive than a person that only did a 1 year post-bac.

Last edited:
A post-bac by itself is not always enough. Smp is an audition for medical school. @CardioEnthusio15 made a strong and clear statement by his/her performance in the smp they just completed. That makes him/her more competitive than a person that only did a 1 year post-bac.

I am a guy haha. To answer @linbanbolt, I did an SMP because I felt my post-bac was not enough since I did it at a community college. Also, I have been out of school for a while so doing an SMP would better prepare me for medical school. Also, it's a good way for me to prove to myself that I can succeed in medical school. If not, I will just pursue something else in the health field. Good thing it worked out well lol. I did mine at an MD school. Hopefully, DO schools don't have anything against this.

I am a guy haha. To answer @linbanbolt, I did an SMP because I felt my post-bac was not enough since I did it at a community college. Also, I have been out of school for a while so doing an SMP would better prepare me for medical school. Also, it's a good way for me to prove to myself that I can succeed in medical school. If not, I will just pursue something else in the health field. Good thing it worked out well lol. I did mine at an MD school. Hopefully, DO schools don't have anything against this.
My bad lol. I wish you a successful application cycle. I also plan to do a smp for the same reasons you mentioned.

How do schools generally view FW, since I have one from before I began my upward trend. The past 2 years I have a cGPA of 3.5 and a sGPA of 3.6.

Well, I feel like an underdawg. Hoping we all have some good luck.

Nontrad, cGPA 3.1, sGPA 3.2, MS Mech Eng 3.7, PHD Mech Eng 3.7, DIY Post Bac 3.7..., MCAT: 505 (128, 121, 128, 128) CARS destroyed my world.Verified 7/20/18, No II yet. Concerned citizen

Well, I feel like an underdawg. Hoping we all have some good luck.

Nontrad, cGPA 3.1, sGPA 3.2, MS Mech Eng 3.7, PHD Mech Eng 3.7, DIY Post Bac 3.7..., MCAT: 505 (128, 121, 128, 128) CARS destroyed my world.Verified 7/20/18, No II yet. Concerned citizen
PhD in Mechanical Engineering? o_O
That alone should get you an acceptance! God bless your soul man, I could never...

PhD in Mechanical Engineering? o_O
That alone should get you an acceptance! God bless your soul man, I could never...

I am hoping at least one school feels that way. There are a lot of talented and passionate people out there and each one has a story.

I am reading a lot of the posts on here and there are people with stronger MCAT and GPAs asking if they are okay for DO. Just makes you wonder and feel really nervous about the cycle since schools do lean towards that first when they make decisions.
Already have a few rejections in the list but head up and press forward.

I am hoping at least one school feels that way. There are a lot of talented and passionate people out there and each one has a story.

I am reading a lot of the posts on here and there are people with stronger MCAT and GPAs asking if they are okay for DO. Just makes you wonder and feel really nervous about the cycle since schools do lean towards that first when they make decisions.
Already have a few rejections in the list but head up and press forward.
I felt the same way. I had a lower GPA/MCAT than many people applying, and was actually heavily discouraged by my pre-med committee to apply. They kept on telling me I was “better suited to become a nurse.” Whatever tf that means.

Just keep grinding, and don’t look back. Try not to compare yourself to other people. For many schools, your ECs actually play a heavier role than you may have thought. If you find that you can’t help yourself, get your shiny PhD diploma out and remind yourself that you’re already a doctor ;)

Total under dog here. Terrible MCAT but great everything else. I don’t want to retake so I submitted with the score I received. fingers crossed