Where should i apply? please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dario2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a nontraditional applicant, i came to US from a third world country to pursue my graduate studies in Pharmaceutical research with. full scholarship and obtained my PhD. I then went on to do postdoctoral research and while doing that obtained my permanent residency. I had many challenges in my life which i will not bore you guys with.

I recently gave my mcat and i got a 506 score, i know which is not great, but the structure of exam is really different than i was used to and CARS as not being a native speaker i only score in 50 percentile (124). I have a undergrad GPA of 4 (however it was done back in my native country) but i have a graduate GPA of 3.7.

I have intense research experience and have authored 13 original and review articles and more than 20 conference papers. I have some clinical experience and also community service with Red Cross.

I am CA resident and since my score will not get me into any UC schools i have to look for OOS schools. Can anyone please tell me few schools that fits my profile? I am a bit late to the game and really dont know where to begin.

Any kind of help will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Loma Linda
NOVA MD
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)
Also apply to several DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Hello Faha
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have one question, do you think i have a chance at VCU med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Faha
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have one question, do you think i have a chance at VCU med school?
The majority of those who matriculate to VCU are from the state of Virginia. You could try VCU but your MCAT is at their 10th percentile.

Wait OP, do you have a Bachelor's in US? Or from outside of USA? Keep in mind that tons of med schools will want a Bachelors done in US, or at least a year of two taking college level classes.

Hi Seren,
I know my Bachelor's was out side US but my graduate studies were in the US, I am filtering schools for in US prerequisites, and trying to ask them to waiver some classes like humanities and math which i have taken outside the US and i really dont want to take them again here
any suggestions ?

Hi Seren,
I know my Bachelor's was out side US but my graduate studies were in the US, I am filtering schools for in US prerequisites, and trying to ask them to waiver some classes like humanities and math which i have taken outside the US and i really dont want to take them again here
any suggestions ?
That's probably the best you can do. I don't think Humanities are required by any specific school, although I'm not sure if many schools are willing to replace BCPM requirements with graduate courses. At least they will probably want a year or two of you taking undergrad courses in US isntitution. Best of luck.