Where should I apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishmom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:
Science (w/oBCP) 3.341
BCP 2.822
Non-science 2.736
BCP + Science 3.043

I am a dental hygienist. I am also non-trad (40yo)

Thinking of Creighton, Case, Louisville (cuz I loved it!) any others?

I live in Ohio, have a family and don't know what to do. Just got all my transcripts and there were some suprises from a long time ago.

I am not URM

Haven't taken DAT, will do in July. KKnow I have to rock it, so not rushing it

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen you freakin out on a bunch of post now.... Did you calculate yourself? Because in my first year of college I had more than a couple of F's and surprisingly after plugging everything into this excel sheet, my GPA wasn't as atrocious as I had thought.

As to where to apply check out the ADEA Guide to Dental School. Tells EVERY schools stats. Only ten bucks.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14163367#post14163367

That's why I'm freaking. I did my gpa calculation in the Excel worksheets. And those,were the numbers it told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
All schools care about are your overall gpa, science gpa (including BCP) and BCP, calculate those 3 numbers and include your DAT so I and others can actually help you.

I think a lot of where you should apply will be contingent upon your DAT scores. Also, your science GPA should include your BCP classes. The only difference between sGPA and BCP is that your sGPA includes other "non-core" type sciences classes in it, like botany and such.

may wanna consider Masters

That's why I'm freaking. I did my gpa calculation in the Excel worksheets. And those,were the numbers it told me.

Bummer... I was hoping you had did the same thing I did and maybe calculated wrong the first time around. Lots of schools have a 2.7 cut off, but some really dont consider looking at the app unless its a 3.0 minimum. But like you said it was 20 years ago and there are many more schools who focus on an upward trend. It's just a matter of researching which schools. And who know, you may absolutely blow the DAT outta the water. Don't give up or lose confidence now!

There are a lot of factors that will play into all of this:

Your GPA across the board is really low - some schools do have cutoffs for the minimum GPA so you need to do research on that.

You said you were 40 years old. How old are your coursework for the pre-reqs? Some schools also put limits on how old they can be, ranging from 5 years to 15 years old. You need to do research on that as well.

You would need to get ridiculous scores on the DAT to offset your GPA.

You need to apply broadly - but I don't know how possible that is if your family is situated and settled in Ohio.

You need to apply early, but judging from when you're taking the DAT - assuming you have everything else done (AADSAS completed, sent in, verified + taken care of all the school's supplemental stuff (fees, applications, extra materials to send it)) - you're application won't be completed and reviewed until, at EARLIEST, mid-late July. It's not exactly late, but it's definitely not early either.

There aren't too many things in your favor right now. As someone suggested above, I think one of your goals to work on before applying is to do a masters program to (1) get your pre-reqs updated (if you haven't already) + (2) raise that GPA up really high. Of course, focus on your DAT, too, to get good scores.