Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisy44

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm a pretty average/maybe above-average applicant overall. I'm from a top-20 school, 3.75 cGPA, about a 3.65 sGPA, 35R MCAT. I have pretty great (very diverse) ECs...medical interpreting, volunteer work abroad, research (just one pub though, and it was only an abstract). I'm expecting good to excellent recommendations.

I recently found out that I won a Fulbright for next year. My question is whether this puts me in a position to apply to higher tiered schools. I dont want to waste $ applying to upenn, northwestern, harvard, jhu, yale, etc. if i dont at least have a shot. I guess my question is whether this Fulbright will have enough of an impact on my application to at least put me in the running for these schools. My main concern is that my gpa is kind of low for these schools, my MCAT isn't high enough to really make up for it, so I'm hoping that my ECs will cover me.

Thanks...any input would be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I forgot to clarify that it is a Fulbright ETA, not the Fulbright research grant.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 years in one lab, and 1 summer internship program in another lab

Hey,
I'm a pretty average/maybe above-average applicant overall. I'm from a top-20 school, 3.75 cGPA, about a 3.65 sGPA, 35R MCAT. I have pretty great (very diverse) ECs...medical interpreting, volunteer work abroad, research (just one pub though, and it was only an abstract). I'm expecting good to excellent recommendations.

I recently found out that I won a Fulbright for next year. My question is whether this puts me in a position to apply to higher tiered schools. I dont want to waste $ applying to upenn, northwestern, harvard, jhu, yale, etc. if i dont at least have a shot. I guess my question is whether this Fulbright will have enough of an impact on my application to at least put me in the running for these schools. My main concern is that my gpa is kind of low for these schools, my MCAT isn't high enough to really make up for it, so I'm hoping that my ECs will cover me.

Thanks...any input would be much appreciated :)

I don't think that you would be wasting your money applying to those schools. You are a strong applicant, I think you have a good shot at a top program.