Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marysaurus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PhD student in CA who relatively recently decided to apply to med school. I have no idea where I should apply (or if I'd even get in!) and I need some advice!

-OR resident, but will be CA resident as of 9/09.
-Chemical engineering undergrad major, 3.7 overall GPA, higher science GPA
-Biomedical engineering graduate student, 3.6 GPA
-MCAT scores: not back yet, probably between 30-35 based on practice tests
-Research experience: 1 summer independent, funded research project (cancer research); 2 extracurricular, unpaid research projects (environmental engineering-based); NIH Training Grant for grad school (biomedical engineering)
-Work experience: commercial ag/botany lab, university research labs, a couple of environmental/chemical engineering internships
-Awards: numerous scholarships, undergrad research grant, environmental eng. design contest awards, graduate research grant
-Other: fluent in spanish (year abroad in HS), hospital volunteering, have shadowed doctors, very active as an undergrad in various organizations (volunteering with kids, TA for freshman intro class to chemical engineering, etc.)

With these stats, do you think I would get in? Where would I apply?

I'm a little confused about the OR/CA residency issue, as theoretically I'll be applying while still an OR resident, but will be a CA resident this fall. Also, how far back can one get experiences from? My senior year in high school I spent every afternoon shadowing various professionals at a hospital, but then as an undergrad I decided against med school so there is a gap in my volunteering/shadowing experience...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

High school experiences are generally not listed on the med school application, unless you continued the experience in the college years.

When you apply through AMCAS, you'll list the primary residence, so you'll have to decide on one state. Be sure your drivers license, voter's registration, and state tax filing all belong to the same state. Some schools require evidence.

It's fruitless to make a list of schools without an MCAT score as there is a huge variation in where you'll apply if you get an MCAT of 30 vs 35.

Do you have recent hospital volunteering and shadowing? These are essential to demonstrate to adcomms that you've tested the vocation thoroughly. Recent community service is important too, though I see you did some as an undergrad. The research, teaching experience, and Spanish fluency will serve you well.

Also make sure you've taken all of the pre-reqs. Sounds like you probably have by now, but just double check -- include two english/writing courses, sometimes two math courses, and sometimes biochemistry. :oops:

To reiterate what Mobius said, there's a huge difference between a 30 and a 35, so don't hesitate to bump this thread once you've gotten your score back.