Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My gpa is 3.96. I am majoring in biology (BA), chemistry (BA), and psychology (BS, concentration in behavioral neuroscience). [will be done in 4yrs:]
So far, I have volunteered in a hospital for 3 yrs and will have 4 yrs clinical experience by the time of my graduation.
I have shadowed a plastic surgeon, cardiologist, and a neurosurgeon.
I have 2 yrs research experience so far and will be doing research next yr also.
My goal is to at least 35 on MCAT.
Although my gpa is good, I really do not have any leadership experience:(.
I want to become a neurosurgeon and I am also aware of the fact that residency programs for neurosurgery are very very competitive.
Any suggestions on which medical schools I should apply to?:idea:
Suggestions to strengthen my application would be greatly welcome:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Excellent stats. Assuming that you get at least 35 on the MCAT, the sky is your limit. You would be competitive everywhere, Harvard and JHU included. Still you should apply broadly.

For leadership experience, try getting involved in student organization in campus, e.g Pre-med society, student senate, biology club, ethnic /cultural club, fundraisers etc. Many of those organizations would have leadership spots open. Research can also count as leadership depending on how you describe it in your activities. With your stats and research experience you can easily become a teaching assistant (and that is also leadership experience).

I agree that with an MCAT of 35, you could reasonably apply anywhere. With strong med school performance, you can get into a neurosurg residency from any school you get into. AOA, specialty-specific research, third-year rotation honors, and high Step I and II scores overrride the perceived prestigiousness of a med school.

Leadership and nonmedical community service would strengthen your application further.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks naijaboi and Catalystik. I really appreciate your feedback!
Catalystik, most medical students do specialty-specific research during the summer between MSY1 and MSY2, right? What is AOA?

AOA=Alpha Omega Alpha, the med school honor society for top performers at allopathic med schools. Selection criteria vary somewhat from chapter to chapter. (Note: AOA can also stand for American Osteopathic Association, which can be confusing.)

Med students may do research between first and second year, and some continue with it during second year as well if it's on site. It's also possible to do a research elective during the fourth year. A few will take a full year off between 2nd and 3rd year or for the year after graduation to do research full time.