where should i apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jqueb29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a 3.73 gpa and a 28S on the MCAT. My gpa should be up to 3.77 by the end of the semester, and I am retaking the MCAT. I know you should never take an MCAT score for granted, but I would be stunned if I don't get at least a 32 this time around. I have about 60 hours of shadowing right now between an anesthesiologist and a family practitioner, and am going to do another 50 hours shadowing this semester. I currently have only about 40 hours of volunteering in a clinical setting but will have another 150+ by mid-June when I send out my application. I've been in a handful of organizations on campus and also was a voting member of the student government at my school. I am an Oklahoma resident, and am applying to the schools below.

University of Oklahoma
University of Kansas
All the TMDSAS schools (UT-Southwestern, UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, UT-Galveston, UNT's DO school, Texas Tech, Texas Tech @ El Paso, and Texas A&M)
Baylor
Stanford
University of Arkansas
University of Missouri
Also considering applying to OSU's DO school as a last resort safety net

What are my chances of getting into any of these schools? UT-Southwestern is easily my top choice, but I would really just like to end up somewhere in Texas. OU would be my top choice if I don't end up in Texas. Where else should I apply other than these schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Plan to widen your DOs until you have that proven 32. AKA take it early enough that you can know well before you apply.

**EDIT: FYI I applied June 1st with a 29Q, with a retake in August for a 32S. Had done a lot of extra expense in DO schools primaries/secondaries that I ended up not really needing. But had I not gotten that 32 (as I hadnt expected the 29 the first time either) I would have definitely needed those DO apps. So dont put yourself in my situation, make sure to know what your stats are going in and apply early...