Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterwares

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So below are my stats. Please let me know if this is competitive enough, and where I should apply for a high acceptance chance.

3.6GPA, 29 on the MCAT

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor in Emergency Health Services

Peer Health Educator, basically I volunteer and help with public health campaigns around
campus.
2nd Year Officer in the Pre-Medical Society
4k For Cancer Rider, biked across the USA and helped raise $500k for charity.
Member, Fire Department for 2 years, EMTB.
Member, Cycling Team

I've also volunteered at the hospital a few times and shadowed a few doctors.

I'm a Maryland resident.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've also volunteered at the hospital a few times and shadowed a few doctors.

I recommend you boost your medical experience significantly while you are applying in order to be taken more seriously by admissions committees. By the sound of it, it doesn't seem like you have a significant amount of exposure to medicine.

I was under the impression that volunteering as an EMT was counting as exposure to medicine…

To be more specific, I have around 2 years x at least 8 hours a week x 9 months when i'm in school = around 500 hours volunteering as an EMT.

I have volunteered for a year in a hospital for about 100-200 hours of that. Volunteered in the med/surg ward, ER, and oncology wards.

Shadowed an osteopathic surgeon for 30 hours.

I need to do some more shadowing definitely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that volunteering as an EMT was counting as exposure to medicine…

To be more specific, I have around 2 years x at least 8 hours a week x 9 months when i'm in school = around 500 hours volunteering as an EMT.

I have volunteered for a year in a hospital for about 100-200 hours of that. Volunteered in the med/surg ward, ER, and oncology wards.

Shadowed an osteopathic surgeon for 30 hours.

I need to do some more shadowing definitely.

Ah yes, I must've missed that, you are right EMT is significant medical experience. That said you need to also shadow MD's to get an idea of what being a physician is actually like as well.

Alright thanks. I'm working on that right now.

As to where to apply, I was going to just go straight through and apply to all the Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina schools. And then I was going to add in all the lower ranked schools as well since my MCAT isn't great. Is this a good plan?

Alright thanks. I'm working on that right now.

As to where to apply, I was going to just go straight through and apply to all the Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina schools. And then I was going to add in all the lower ranked schools as well since my MCAT isn't great. Is this a good plan?

If you have the time/money/effort available to spend applying to all those schools, by all means do so.

Off the top of my head for PA schools, Drexel and Temple are good fits, Jefferson maybe if they like your ECs

Jefferson is actually one of my top choices. I visited there once and it was great!

Does anyone else have any opinions?

Jefferson is actually one of my top choices. I visited there once and it was great!

Does anyone else have any opinions?

If Jefferson is one of your top choices, let them know so. They are one of the most applied to schools and so you really need to stand out from the masses. A great way to do that is to send letters of interests expressing why you like Jeff.

What is your MCAT breakdown?

I would apply to Albany, NYMC and Tulane.

Why those specifically? A few of my friends have gone to NYMC.

@darkjedi, I will remember to do that once I apply next year.
Also, it is P10 V9 B10.

Last edited:
Why those specifically? A few of my friends have gone to NYMC.

@darkjedi, I will remember to do that once I apply next year.
Also, it is P10 V9 B10.

your MCAT is balanced enough that you won't be screened from many places, good luck next year!

Wait a second. Are you saying that the screening is based on if the MCAT is varied? I thought it was just something like if you are less than a 30 then you get screened out.

Wait a second. Are you saying that the screening is based on if the MCAT is varied? I thought it was just something like if you are less than a 30 then you get screened out.

Schools can screen based on both a total score, but also if you drop below a certain score in an individual section