Where should I be looking to apply? (3.6/38)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With only one summer of research you might want to save some money by not applying to the top research schools, but your numbers are good enough to give you a shot just about anywhere except maybe WashU. Research begun after you apply won't help much.

Your clinical experience is on the weak side. Isn't there a nursing home near school where you could get some more hours before you apply (assuming you're applying June 2010)? Your shadowing is fine. The leadership looks good. Do you have any hobbies, teaching, nonmedical community service? Are you thinking of beefing up your application for another year before applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
With only one summer of research you might want to save some money by not applying to the top research schools, but your numbers are good enough to give you a shot just about anywhere except maybe WashU. Research begun after you apply won't help much.

Your clinical experience is on the weak side. Isn't there a nursing home near school where you could get some more hours before you apply (assuming you're applying June 2010)? Your shadowing is fine. The leadership looks good. Do you have any hobbies, teaching, nonmedical community service? Are you thinking of beefing up your application for another year before applying?

I don't think I will hold off a year mostly because I'm not overly concerned about where I go, my #1 goal is to be a physician (if I dont get in anywhere i will naturally have had a year to improve my app).

I did a ton of community service stuff throughout high school and really loved it but sadly engineering sort of took over my life in college.

As for other things, I have been a member of a campus christian group ever since freshman year (probably >300hours) but I haven't held a leadership position and somewhat hypocritically we haven't done much community service, so its probably not too notable. (although I will definitely list it as an EC).

Besides that I just have random stuff like captaining intramural sports teams and taking a bunch of outdoors classes (rock climbing, ice climbing, skiing, etc).

The clinical experience is really tough to come by at school because I don't have a car and Cornell has like 800+ premeds making the relatively low population density surrounding area pretty saturated volunteer wise.