Where to apply out of Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

girlydea

Hi, I'm a Texas resident who goes to a Texas system school (UT-Dallas). I'm looking into applying to a few out-of-state schools just to see what happens/broaden possibilities. (yes, I will also be applying to Texas schools)
My stats aren't the greatest, but I started early and have experienced preceptorship, research, and volunteering.
I've been looking up North, around Boston and New York areas

Please recommend any that you feel strongly about.

I understand that it depends a lot on the MCAT, but perhaps just advice based on current situation.

Thank you for your imput, I've done lots of searches and asked around, but it doesn't seem like a lot of Texas pre-meds want to apply out of state.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

that list doesn't make a whole lot of sense. First, if you don't get into the lower texas state schools, you aren't going to get in anywhere. But let's say you do get into some UT schools. Why would you go to schools like Tufts or Jefferson ahead of them? If you're a gunnerish type and can get into schools like Hopkins or Penn then I could see it, but most of the schools you listed won't provide you with a 'name' anymore than the UT system schools. It doesn't make any sense.

Bottom line- If you are from texas adding schools won't increase your chances to get in somewhere, and if you aren't worried about getting in somewhere most of the schools you added I don't see why you would matriculate at

as usual, gunnerbelle doesnt know what shes talking about....im a tx resident who didnt get into any tx schools, but who did get in out of state. in my opinion, try out some of these:

loyola chicago,
eastern virginia,
tulane,
saint louis,
george washington,
nymc,
drexel

Members don't see this ad :)
you are one of a very small number in that situation. The odds are so much more favorable for texas residents to get into schools like UTSA than out of state schools

southbelle said:
you are one of a very small number in that situation. The odds are so much more favorable for texas residents to get into schools like UTSA than out of state schools

You are partially right. The odds ARE favorable that you get into your state school but that doesn't imply that the odds are against you for not getting into an out of state school. I mean think about it: 3,500 students apply for ~1,500 Texas med school seats. Obviously of the 2,000 people who are not offered seats in Texas, you can't possibly believe that none of them had adequate gpas and MCATS and none of them went out of state do you? If anything, the majority stay in Texas for med school or reapplication but a strong number of people go out of state.

I agree with dookbloo, you never know what's gonna happen. Consider those schools that he listed. And maybe VCU, Gtown, temple, etc... It's also a good idea to apply to a few high ranked schools.

can I ask what your stats are, dookbloo, and how the out of state news is coming?

girlydea said:
can I ask what your stats are, dookbloo, and how the out of state news is coming?

You said you were young and started college early at 16...did you go to TAMS?

--Rager

I go to UTD tooooo! :thumbup:

some good schools are like some the above poster mentioned:

drexel
Tulane
University of Chicago -Finch

those are 3 u have a good shot with if ur from Texas, especially drexel

Omarsaleh66: Just out of curiosity why do you think that a TX resident has a better chance of getting into those 3 particular schools that you had mentioned? What about all the other middle tier schools eg Ohio State, University of Rochester, Indiana University, Case Western etc?

When it comes down to picking med schools to apply to, the only three things that really matter are location, location, location. Just think about where you would want to go to school outside of Texas and pick schools in that area. Make sure you pick reach schools as well as "safety" schools. So I guess there are four things that matter.

girl u should forget those yankee skoolz and take da party to da southside in da ATL georgia at emory...they don't get crunk up north like dey down in da 404...holla!

+pity+

Bluemirage said:
Omarsaleh66: Just out of curiosity why do you think that a TX resident has a better chance of getting into those 3 particular schools that you had mentioned? What about all the other middle tier schools eg Ohio State, University of Rochester, Indiana University, Case Western etc?

those 3 schools i mentioned are some from my experience when i was applyinh showed me and some other Tx applicants that were applying some love. I know of one dude that got into somewhere in Ohio but I think a major reason was cuz his fiance was tehre cuz i think the school he was at was a public school that gave preference to in state. As far as the schools u mentioned, I really dont know anything about them so i cant comment on what they think of Texas applicants

holla at yo muthafAAckin Boy
peace

i would go ahead and apply to schools in any region that you may eventually want to do residency or settle down. with philly as an example, drexel may not have the greatest rep, but you'll have a leg up by having attended drexel over some of the texas schools when applying for spots in philly and new york city. programs in that area will be more familiar with the applicants from drex (since there annually there are more of them) and may have more sitting faculty from drexel as well. additionally, going to school in the region affords you more opportunities to rotate through other programs/schools during your fourth year, which also helps you place into their respective programs.

and don't buy into the stuff people say about you having the best odds in texas. while this may be statistically valid, the first thing you learn about stats is that it's meant to be applied to to populations, not individuals. medical school apps are often a crapshoot, and you'll be left scratching your head over who gives you interviews/acceptance and who doesn't. there's no harm (other than a little pain the pocketbook) applying out of TX

I agree with the location issue. If you look at the match lists pretty much everyone who goes to a texas school stays there. If you want to do a residency in the northeast considering schools in that region definately will help you out. You just have to weigh whether paying the extra moolah is worth leaving. I'm a texas resident and decided not to stay in texas because I fell in love with the northeast, but its not for everyone so really consider where you want to be for the next chunk of your life.