Where to Apply, Post SMP advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hallucis17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey nontrads, long time lurker in need of advice. Just finished the Mississippi College SMP and want to narrow down options for apps and figure out what my best course of action is. Ugrad was a train wreck, 2.6 cgpa with multiple Ws and repeats. Went to top 60 STEM school in north east typical BS Bio. Started working and studying for new mcat after graduation, eeked out a 503. Started the MC SMP will graduate with a 3.6 gpa with high scores in several NBME subject exams with 95th % gross anatomy. EC need work 200 hours of volunteering, 100 hours shadowing both of which stretch over 6 years. Don't know what the next step is, should I forget about US MD and focus on DO? Would a MCAT retake make sense? Are any MD schools an option?
Thanks y'all

Members don't see this ad.

In my SMP, they told us to retake our MCAT after we graduated if we came in with less than a 510. I think that would work well for you since you did well in the SMP. 503 is barely acceptable for DO and far below acceptable for any MD without URM status. Post SMP you should be able to get easily over a 510, but I'd aim for 515+.

I'd also take the time to get some volunteering under your belt this year. Clinical if you can, but if you can't then make sure it's with the underserved. Above all just make sure you have something that's filling your time. You don't want to look like you did nothing for a year.

As for this year, I would not apply. It's already late in the cycle and your app is not competitive yet. You don't want to be a re-applicant if you can avoid it. Study hard, take your MCAT so that you have the score back before AMCAS applications open next year (early June), and fill your time with volunteering, your job, etc.

Good luck, and feel free to hit me up.

Reactions: 1 user
In my SMP, they told us to retake our MCAT after we graduated if we came in with less than a 510. I think that would work well for you since you did well in the SMP. 503 is barely acceptable for DO and far below acceptable for any MD without URM status. Post SMP you should be able to get easily over a 510, but I'd aim for 515+.

I'd also take the time to get some volunteering under your belt this year. Clinical if you can, but if you can't then make sure it's with the underserved. Above all just make sure you have something that's filling your time. You don't want to look like you did nothing for a year.

As for this year, I would not apply. It's already late in the cycle and your app is not competitive yet. You don't want to be a re-applicant if you can avoid it. Study hard, take your MCAT so that you have the score back before AMCAS applications open next year (early June), and fill your time with volunteering, your job, etc.

Good luck, and feel free to hit me up.

Thanks for the advice!