Where to Apply when OOS?

Smgood11

Jun 18, 2015
    Hi! I am applying for my second time around. I am from CT so last year I decided to only apply to east coast schools to stay closer to home (compatible or not). Unfortunately that got me zero interviews. After going through AADSAS's school guide I first found the schools that best matched my GPA and DAT scores then I narrowed down that list by comparing which schools interview the most OOS students. Now I have a list of about 20 schools. How should I narrow even more? (aiming for 15).

I've heard you have a better chance applying to schools that neighbor your own state. But most of the schools that surround CT are not good matches for me. My list is mostly mid-west/ west schools. I have immediate family in CA as well as CT. Is that okay? I don't want to mess this up a second time.

DAT: AA 20 TS 21
    GPA: 3.6
    GPAs: 3.3

Schools I've been looking at
    LECOM
    Loma Linda
    UNV
    UNE
    Herman Ostrow USC
    Louisville
    Roseman
    Tufts
    BU
    UCONN
    Ohio State
    Western U
    Meharry
    U of Detroit Mercy
    U of Michigan
    NYU
    U of Minnestoa
    U of Oklahoma
    U of Colorado
    U of Tennessee
    U of Maryland
    VCU

Last edited:

Likkriue

5+ Year Member
    Jan 31, 2016
    New York City
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      If your GPA/DAT isnt good enough for the east coast schools what makes you think they will be good enough for west coast schools?
      If you are a reapplicant, did you do anything to improve your application? Higher gpa? Higher DAT?

About the Ads

Smgood11

Jun 18, 2015
        If your GPA/DAT isnt good enough for the east coast schools what makes you think they will be good enough for west coast schools?
        If you are a reapplicant, did you do anything to improve your application? Higher gpa? Higher DAT?
        My DAT score went up a lot since last year. Most of the east cost schools like Georgia, UNC, NOVA, VCU,...etc. they all prefer instate by way more of a percentage than the schools I found out west. Thats why I didn't know if it would be better to try the schools that are known to take a higher percentage of OOS.

Likkriue

5+ Year Member
        Jan 31, 2016
        New York City
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          My DAT score went up a lot since last year. Most of the east cost schools like Georgia, UNC, NOVA, VCU,...etc. they all prefer instate by way more of a percentage than the schools I found out west. Thats why I didn't know if it would be better to try the schools that are known to take a higher percentage of OOS.

Im sure you have Uconn and UNE on your list? Then theres Maryland, Pittsburgh, etc etc.

Smgood11

Jun 18, 2015
            I think you are good. Your stats are fine. It was probably because your DAT was terrible last year so east coast or west coast wont matter. Both coasts are equally competitive.
            Thank you, yeah I'm pretty sure it was my 17 on the DAT last year, I was working too much to retake it right away.
            These are mostly schools that are supposedly more OOS friendly than all the southern schools I applied to last time.

MahiMahi

Optimism
            10+ Year Member
            Mar 13, 2011
            Up in the air
            1. Pre-Dental
              Put more private schools on the list. Take out some of the state schools that you don't see yourself actually going to, or don't have good chances as an OOS (e.g. Colorado, Michigan, others). Take out Meharry if you're not an URM.

Smgood11

Jun 18, 2015
                UConn, Tufts, BU, UNE, Pitt, Maryland, Lousiville, Detroit Mercy, Case Western, NYU, Ohio State, UNLV, LECOM, Nova, and Tennessee if you're looking for a list of 15.

Please read my guide that is stickies at the top of the pre dental page in its entirety if you haven't already. I'm trying to let the guide speak for itself and not give school advice, but since you're from CT I gotta help out my brethren. Unless you're from Fairfield County, in which case you can consider yourself a New Yorker as the rest if the state doesn't identify with you.

Best of luck and lmk if you have any questions about UConn!
                HAHA thank you, I'm from Avon, definitely more CT than New York lol
                That list is great! I appreciate it!

Kittenz

Class of 19'
                5+ Year Member
                Mar 30, 2014
                1. Dental Student
                  Congrats for living in such a beautiful town! All the rest of us consider Avon a "if you've made it in life you live there" type of town! The 2009 Class M football semi finals when we beat you guys was pretty awesome though. I was very cold watching from the bench
                  You're mistaking Avon for Simsbury ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Smgood11

Jun 18, 2015
                    Lol both are pretty damn nice towns. I prefer Simsbury to Avon too. Actually thy year Simsbury beat us in the regular season, but they were Class L so we didn't meet them in the playoffs. I would be happy to live in Avon Simsbury Canton or Farmington when I'm older to prove that I've made it

I actually went to Simsbury High lol wasn't a fan of AHS growing up but yet here I am haha

Reactions: 1 user
                    About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.