Where to apply with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notageek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little lost as to where to apply...
i have a 26 mcat (p8 vr8 b10)
California resident
3.8 GPA
Masters in Neurobiology
So much shadowing, research, pending publication, volunteer..
is it too late and where should i apply? money is a huge factor and limited!

Members don't see this ad.

it's like.. you want to know how you stack up... hmm.. are you asking what your chances are, maybe?

If you aren't URM, DO school. This thread needs to be moved ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
California resident
3.8 GPA
Masters in Neurobiology

I wouldn't seek the advice of anyone on here. We're pretty much all premeds and probably nobody sits on an admissions committee. But if I were you and had those stats, I would try the schools where the average MCAT is 31 or lower to give you the best shot. Schools that have MCAT averages of 33, 34, 35 etc. probably just don't have a whole lot of 26s in their classes. As far as the question if it's too late...It's getting really close. Some schools deadlines have already passed for the primary and I think the rest of the schools have deadlines of about December 15 for the primary.

Refer to signature....

but for your MCAT score and being from CA, yeah it's gonna be DO (nothing wrong w that though!). Your ECs will be great there, though, and you have an awesome GPA!

If you want to go to a UC you gotta re-do that MCAT. But if you're cool with DO, go for that, cause you'd have a great shot there.

thank you, apumic...

rockaction, i don't care to go to a uc.. actually wanna go somewhere east coast... NY or Ohio would be nice!

You would be applying for 2011, right? Cause deadlines are here for 2010.

I'd suggest re-taking the MCAT and breaking 30, cause you have till now and June to submit your AMCAS for 2011. If you got to a 33 you'd have a good shot at Ohio State, Cincinnati, and Toledo (I'm an OH resident so I know these schools well). They take a lot of OOS people and you get IS tuition after a year.

Definitely too late to apply anywhere for 2010; even if the deadlines aren't up, you still would be too late to really have a good shot at DO schools.

The good news is there's plenty of time to study and retake the MCAT for the 2011 application season. If you start studying now you can take one of the April MCATs.

As other people have said, the problem is the MCAT. This is good news, because you can study for it and improve it probably more easily than most aspects of your application.

Yea your pushing the limits with stats like that I reccomend just applying early in AUG or even july so schools really look at you app and not just your objective data like scores. I was in your shoes last year being a late applicant, didn't bother applying. But I applied early this cycle and got in. Good luck.

California resident
3.8 GPA
Masters in Neurobiology

DO schools the prestigious ones
and
lower tier medical schools
btw.. its too late to apply now..
i'd recommend applying next cycle
with a higher mcat
=)