Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on where to apply?
I am an Ohio resident (from the Appalachian area) and went to a state school in Ohio.
- Biology major, chemistry minor
- 4.0 GPA
- 21 AA, 20 TS, 20 PAT
- fairly average to above average extracurriculars and rest of application
I have narrowed my choices to (in decreasing order according to where I want to go):
Ohio State (2 LORs, not very strict on from who)
Pitt (3 LORs, not very strict on from who)
Indiana (3 LORs- 2 science, 1 non-science)
Kentucky (3 LORs- 2 faculty, 1 dentist)
West Virginia (3 LORs- 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics professor)
Louisville- (3 LORs- at least 2 science)
I think I can get 1 strong letter from a chem professor, 1 from my boss, 1 from my research professor (not my professor for my class, though), and 1 from my adviser.
After that, I don't think I can get very strong letters at all just because I have not really engaged with these people all that often: 1 from a bio professor and 1 dentist maybe...

Each extra school is like $175-200 (primary, supplemental, transcript), so it can really get to be expensive. Based on my LOR situation (I really don't want to submit weaker LORs if I do not have to...), fees, and how likely it is for me to get in to each school (based on where I am from), where do you guys think I should apply to? I am just trying to get a lot of opinions.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on where to apply?
I am an Ohio resident (from the Appalachian area) and went to a state school in Ohio.
- Biology major, chemistry minor
- 4.0 GPA
- 21 AA, 20 TS, 20 PAT
- fairly average to above average extracurriculars and rest of application
I have narrowed my choices to (in decreasing order according to where I want to go):
Ohio State (2 LORs, not very strict on from who)
Pitt (3 LORs, not very strict on from who)
Indiana (3 LORs- 2 science, 1 non-science)
Kentucky (3 LORs- 2 faculty, 1 dentist)
West Virginia (3 LORs- 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics professor)
Louisville- (3 LORs- at least 2 science)
I think I can get 1 strong letter from a chem professor, 1 from my boss, 1 from my research professor (not my professor for my class, though), and 1 from my adviser.
After that, I don't think I can get very strong letters at all just because I have not really engaged with these people all that often: 1 from a bio professor and 1 dentist maybe...

Each extra school is like $175-200 (primary, supplemental, transcript), so it can really get to be expensive. Based on my LOR situation (I really don't want to submit weaker LORs if I do not have to...), fees, and how likely it is for me to get in to each school (based on where I am from), where do you guys think I should apply to? I am just trying to get a lot of opinions.
Thanks!

before I can answer, what is your professional goal?

before I can answer, what is your professional goal?
I want to be a general dentist in an area of great need that is similar to, or that is, around the area that I grew up (southeastern Ohio)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With the GP goal: Ohio state, case western reserve, uconn, buffalo, West Virginia (you can get instate after 1 year in the last 3 programs)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why Kentucky over Louisville? Louisville is considerably more OOS friendly.

OSU would love you lol presumably you do well on the interview! Can't go wrong with that instate tuition cost. They also like ppl from Appalachian counties.

Right now it's looking like (in order):
OSU, Pitt, Louisville, and VCU (I will be applying to all of these, maybe only these four)
Then, there are a lot that have a lot of different pros and cons but all seem to be pretty equal overall considering price and chance of getting in:
Kentucky, Tufts, Boston, Howard's, and Iowa