Where to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leverp2000

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for another one of those where to apply threads, but I'm looking to apply to MD/PhD programs and I was wondering where I should apply. Here are my stats: 4.0 GPA; 35+ MCAT; and a year and 3 summers of research; not many ec's and little clinical experience (just shadowing).

I am looking to do a PhD in Biochemistry or Neuroscience (especially related to Opthalmology). I am from the midwest and I'm looking to either stay here or go to the east coast. I was wondering what schools are good for vision research or biochemistry.

This is my current list:
U Mich
U Wisc
U Penn
U Chicago
Northwestern
WashU
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
U Pitt
Tri-I
Wayne State
Tufts


I'm looking to narrow it down to 12 schools. Which ones should I cut out?
Anyone have other suggestions and how good are these schools in neuroscience (especially vision) and biochemistry?

Also, should I apply to some more lower tier schools? If so, which ones?
 
I will say that your app is probably good enough to get you into a top-25 program. I would cut out everything below that (e.g. Wayne State, Tufts) unless you have a special attachment. I see that you have a definite regional preference. I would consider adding some more NYC schools (if that's your thing) and you could also consider some more schools in the southeast, though I don't know how strong they are in the areas you've mentioned.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I was thinking about Iowa, but that might be a little too midwest. They have a great program, but I don't know if I could handle living in Iowa for 8 years.

Also, I wanted to apply to 1 or 2 of lower tier schools just in case. Is this a bad idea? So, Wayne State because its close to home (Michigan resident) and Tufts because I like the Boston area.

Also, what are some good NYC schools in my area?
 
leverp2000 said:
Yeah, I was thinking about Iowa, but that might be a little too midwest. They have a great program, but I don't know if I could handle living in Iowa for 8 years.

Also, I wanted to apply to 1 or 2 of lower tier schools just in case. Is this a bad idea? So, Wayne State because its close to home (Michigan resident) and Tufts because I like the Boston area.

Also, what are some good NYC schools in my area?

heh, Iowa. :laugh:

I always thought Columbia had a pretty good neurosci program, but it's not my area so I'm not sure.