Where to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leverp2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for another one of those where to apply threads, but I'm looking to apply to MD/PhD programs and I was wondering where I should apply. Here are my stats: 4.0 GPA; 35+ MCAT; and a year and 3 summers of research; not many ec's and little clinical experience (just shadowing).

I am looking to do a PhD in Biochemistry or Neuroscience (especially related to Opthalmology). I am from the midwest and I'm looking to either stay here or go to the east coast. I was wondering what schools are good for vision research or biochemistry.

This is my current list:
U Mich
U Wisc
U Penn
U Chicago
Northwestern
WashU
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
U Pitt
Tri-I
Wayne State
Tufts

I'm looking to narrow it down to 12 schools. Which ones should I cut out?
Anyone have other suggestions and how good are these schools in neuroscience (especially vision) and biochemistry?

Also, should I apply to some more lower tier schools? If so, which ones?

Members don't see this ad.

I will say that your app is probably good enough to get you into a top-25 program. I would cut out everything below that (e.g. Wayne State, Tufts) unless you have a special attachment. I see that you have a definite regional preference. I would consider adding some more NYC schools (if that's your thing) and you could also consider some more schools in the southeast, though I don't know how strong they are in the areas you've mentioned.

U Iowa is pretty good, albeit a little less famous

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was thinking about Iowa, but that might be a little too midwest. They have a great program, but I don't know if I could handle living in Iowa for 8 years.

Also, I wanted to apply to 1 or 2 of lower tier schools just in case. Is this a bad idea? So, Wayne State because its close to home (Michigan resident) and Tufts because I like the Boston area.

Also, what are some good NYC schools in my area?

leverp2000 said:
Yeah, I was thinking about Iowa, but that might be a little too midwest. They have a great program, but I don't know if I could handle living in Iowa for 8 years.

Also, I wanted to apply to 1 or 2 of lower tier schools just in case. Is this a bad idea? So, Wayne State because its close to home (Michigan resident) and Tufts because I like the Boston area.

Also, what are some good NYC schools in my area?

heh, Iowa. :laugh:

I always thought Columbia had a pretty good neurosci program, but it's not my area so I'm not sure.