where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CU_buffalo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores and got a 9,12,R,12. What worries me is the 9 on verbal. Like all of us, I'd like to go to a top 20 med school, but with the 9, what do you think my chances are at getting in. I'd be more than happy going to my state school (Colorado), but I hear they only interview applicants with double digits in all 3 MCAT sections. I'm thinking about retaking, but I don't know if 2 months of preparation will be worth an extra point or two on verbal.

Here are my other "vitals": 3.96 gpa in Electrical engineering, 4.0 science GPA, 2 publications in journals where I am sole author, 1/2 year worth of clinical exp., and a handful of other EC's. My LORs won't be awesome, but won't be bad either.

I'm on a limited budget for applying (~$500) and was wondering which schools would best suit me.

Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think what you heard about Colorado only interviewing people with double digit scores in each section is a myth. I know numerous people who were interviewed and accepted to CU without double digits in all sections. Of course, it does help, but for your situation I do not think it is necessary to retake the MCAT. Take this advice from a fellow buffalo :)

i second that anecdote - i know two people who interviewed with sub 10's (one in two sections) and they weren't disadvantaged in any way. doesn't seem worth it to take it again with a 33 -thats pretty dece. goodluck.
-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. You seem to have a solid application and I wouldn't worry about the 9. They look at the whole package. At this point, I'd be focusing on writing a fantastic essay. You might also want to start researching the different schools that you applied to. Secondaries are just around the corner, and before you know it you will be interviewing. The numbers game is over. Now, it is time to show them who you are as an individual.

That double digit mcat interview story sounds like a myth.

I got into a top 10 school with a 9 for my verbal score.

Thanks for all the advice/help. Hopefully everything will work out. :wink:

Wow. Is $500 your whole budget for AMCAS, secondaries, travel to interviews, etc.??? I only applied to 11 schools initially, and I blew at least $3000-4000 on the whole process from start to finish (excluding my moving costs this summer, which will be another $1000-2000). Start searching those couches for loose change!