Where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

997GT3

There is no substitute.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good schools to apply to? Please explain why. This should help guide the majority of us.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

your state school

Apply to the most expensive shcools. That way you can be proud and brag about how my you spent.
:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Your state school, and private schools.

The question was not "state the obvious as vague as possible." Please use some sense in your posts. Thanks :thumbup:

well this is a pretty vague question....most people who ask "where should I apply" usually post their stats. I mean if you're playing w/ a 3.0 and 17s on the DAT...nobody is going to tell u to apply to Harvard..well some might..but nobody will "seriously" tell you to apply there. Apply to where you think you measure up numbers wise..and maybe put in some long shot schools for $hits and giggles.

The question was not "state the obvious as vague as possible." Please use some sense in your posts. Thanks :thumbup:
Don't be a fool. Nobody can tell you where to apply; that's up to you.

The question was vague so the answers were vague. You have to look at each schools averages, your scores, if they are public/private and how many out of state applicants they accept. Do your own research.

Let's assume I have a 4.0/4.0 GPA and 26's across the board and do not want to attend Cali schools or any Ivy Leagues, and although I'm applying in-state, I'd like to have other options.

Thanks.

I've already made my choices. I just want some suggestions to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)

Please use some sense in your questions
:hello: :bullcrap: :hello: :bullcrap: :hello: :bullcrap: :hello: :bullcrap:

Okay why are you posting if you can't give me a good suggestion?

you shouldnt need anyone's advice to determine what dental schools to apply to. it is a personal decision.

u should apply to all schools so that way you don't miss out on any in particular. :idea:

So no suggestions? That's all you needed to say. Thanks guys.

Harvard.

It's Ivy league so therefore it's the best.

And you get a DMD, which will make you more money than a DDS.

So no suggestions? That's all you needed to say. Thanks guys.

You just dont get it. We dont know what schools YOU would like to attend. One person's number 1 is a school another person would not apply to. Find out for yourself.

Let's assume I have a 4.0/4.0 GPA and 26's across the board and do not want to attend Cali schools or any Ivy Leagues, and although I'm applying in-state, I'd like to have other options.

Thanks.

Those are some sweet schools.
Cali is an awesome state, with some great programs.
The Ivy leagues would fight over you if you had 4.0's and 26's across the board.

But since you dont want to live in Cali.
Where do you want to live? Apply there.
Thats how I chose, if I could see myself living there for 4 years. regardless of the school or not, thats where I made my first few choices.

If you sincerely want to offer suggestions, why don't you list the schools you're planning to apply to and give detailed reasons as to why they are your picks? Let's make it plain and simple. No emphasis on me, only on you. That way, not only will you actually post something useful, you will benefit the SDN community and its moderators.

If you sincerely want to offer suggestions, why don't you list the schools you're planning to apply to and give detailed reasons as to why they are your picks? Let's make it plain and simple. No emphasis on me, only on you. That way, not only will you actually post something useful, you will benefit the SDN community and its moderators.

:thumbdown: :rolleyes:

If you sincerely want to offer suggestions, why don't you list the schools you're planning to apply to and give detailed reasons as to why they are your picks? Let's make it plain and simple. No emphasis on me, only

first... nobody on SDN needs to justify why they like a certian school.

That way, not only will you actually post something useful, you will benefit the SDN community and its moderators.

second...all of the moderators are in dental school. they could care less about why some pre-dent likes a particular school.

lastly, most ppl on SDN can think for themselves and dont need to have their hand held when making important educational decisions.

first... nobody on SDN needs to justify why they like a certian school.

second...all of the moderators are in dental school. they could care less about why some pre-dent likes a particular school.

lastly, most ppl on SDN can think for themselves and dont need to have their hand held when making important educational decisions.

? Not to sound derogatory, but someone please help him?

? Not to sound derogatory, but someone please help him?

You won't make any friends on this board acting like that.

Ok, you want to know my reasons for picking the schools that I did? There wasn't a good one. I picked schools that were in locations that seemed like decent enough places to live. What does that mean to me? I went with mostly west coast schools, one or two midwest ones, and a handful of east coast schools.

You won't make any friends on this board acting like that.

Ok, you want to know my reasons for picking the schools that I did? There wasn't a good one. I picked schools that were in locations that seemed like decent enough places to live. What does that mean to me? I went with mostly west coast schools, one or two midwest ones, and a handful of east coast schools.

Thanks for contributing. :) You're a good person.

Dear Porsche friend... u can't just ask someone where to apply. But, since I am in the same boat as u right now, and have been looking over schools that I might be applying to, let me give you few tips that you should look at when choosing a school to apply to.

First, look at predents, and see what are their average acceptance scores, and see how you measure up. Choose those schools that you think you might have a fair chance of getting in.

Second, what is that you want out of school... like do u want a school with strong clinical emphasis, or one that balances out between clinical and classroom setting; do you want a school that mainly focuses on ppl wanting to specialize, or do you want a school that gives you exposure to all sorts of cases, and you think you might be a gp.

Then look at where do you want to live.. do u mind snow, or u prefer to be in the warm weather (like me); then look at the cost...some schools like UoP are super expensive, some like in TX (if u are a resident) are super cheap... does this matter to you...

After u narrow it down, then look at what each school requires for pre reqs... and if u have those classes completed yet. Some schools will ask for the most random credits, and you might not even qualify to apply bc u might lack those. I suggest to go to each school's website and read over their requirements.

I guess after you have made a list, then maybe post few of your choices and see what ppl think of each. I think that way you will get a much better response on where you should apply.... this way there is so many out there, we don't know anything about you, and what you like, so we can't really tell u where to apply.

Hope this helps. G'luck.

oh and also some schools offer DDS and some DMD degrees.... i dunno... this might be a factor too.

Choosing where to apply is a very individualized decision! Only you can make it!

My recommendation is to do your research! Schools may have different science pre-requisites, so make sure you meet those! Think about the ratio of applicants accepted in state vs out of state at public schools. Apply to schools where you would be competitive (ie - do your stats match up with the average stats of those accepted?) Think about demographics - do you like small towns or have to be in a big city? Are you ok with freezing winters or must you be in a warm climate? Is it important to be near family/friends?

There's a thread on factors to consider when applying . . . look it up!

suggestion

noun
1. an idea that is suggested; "the picnic was her suggestion"
2. a proposal offered for acceptance or rejection

sug·gest (s…g-jµst", s…-jµst") tr.v. sug·gest·ed, sug·gest·ing, sug·gests. 1. To offer for consideration or action; propose: suggest things for children to do; suggested that we take a walk.

To ask for a suggestion does not mean to ask someone to make a decision for another.

(What are your RC scores?)

If your DAT/GPA is really high (3.8-4.0/24AA-25AA) and you have ALOT of research experisence, have been published before etc. then I would apply to BIG name schools like Columbia, Harvard, UPenn,UCLa, because your chances of getting accepted would be pretty good, (assuming you are good at interviewing). I have a 21AA/22TS and got REJECTED from harvard VERY QUICKLY..so make sure you are up there with the Stats...

However if your DAT/GPA is average (3.2-3.4/19AA or 18AA) I would apply to schools like USC, NYU, (if you are african american then howard and meharry)(I applied to meharry and thought that was a good "backUp" and got waitlisted..so only apply if you "fit" their school...), Tufts, Louisville, Temple, Nova, basically any really expensive private schools that will be more likely to accept you. Also apply to schools that are close to where you are from.. I am from the East coast, but really want to move to CA if possible, but don't think CA schools will give me a chance.... But I am going to apply to two CA schools anyways...lol...

I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

If your DAT/GPA is really high (3.8-4.0/24AA-25AA) and you have ALOT of research experisence, have been published before etc. then I would apply to BIG name schools like Columbia, Harvard, UPenn,UCLa, because your chances of getting accepted would be pretty good, (assuming you are good at interviewing). I have a 21AA/22TS and got REJECTED from harvard VERY QUICKLY..so make sure you are up there with the Stats...

However if your DAT/GPA is average (3.2-3.4/19AA or 18AA) I would apply to schools like USC, NYU, (if you are african american then howard and meharry)(I applied to meharry and thought that was a good "backUp" and got waitlisted..so only apply if you "fit" their school...), Tufts, Louisville, Temple, Nova, basically any really expensive private schools that will be more likely to accept you. Also apply to schools that are close to where you are from.. I am from the East coast, but really want to move to CA if possible, but don't think CA schools will give me a chance.... But I am going to apply to two CA schools anyways...lol...

Thanks man.

I dont care how good your stats are....if you always act like this you won't be able to keep any clients. Drop the attitude man!!! :thumbup:

I did them a favor by pointing out their RC weaknesses. Now they know what to concentrate on for the DAT. :)

Obviously what everyone has said is true and you have to look for a school that fits you best. But while interviewing at one of the dental schools a presentation was given and talked about some of the best dental programs in the country. They mentioned Iowa, Washington, Texas SA, Michigan, UNC, and UCSF. I don't know where they got this information from but I hope it helps. I think that the best school is the one where you want to attend because of the learning environment, clinical/didactic approach(your choice), price, and the area.

temple is not private.

Obviously what everyone has said is true and you have to look for a school that fits you best. But while interviewing at one of the dental schools a presentation was given and talked about some of the best dental programs in the country. They mentioned Iowa, Washington, Texas SA, Michigan, UNC, and UCSF. I don't know where they got this information from but I hope it helps. I think that the best school is the one where you want to attend because of the learning environment, clinical/didactic approach(your choice), price, and the area.

If your DAT/GPA is really high (3.8-4.0/24AA-25AA) and you have ALOT of research experisence, have been published before etc. then I would apply to BIG name schools like Columbia, Harvard, UPenn,UCLa, because your chances of getting accepted would be pretty good, (assuming you are good at interviewing).
^ TOTALLY BS STATEMENT. I know lots of people who have gotten into Upenn, columbia and UCLA without or hardly any research experience including my own cousins with far lower gpa's and DAT's. Stop giving out false information to people.