Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harry Truman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After talking it over with my advisor, we both agreed that I have a slim, fighting chance at getting accepted to medical school considering my MCAT scores, GPA, extracurrics, and letters. I realize that my scores aren't great, but I have decided that I am going to apply anyway. If it doesn't work out, I will take the MCAT again. Meanwhile, I was just wondering where you guys think I should apply. I've got a 3.6; 7, 11, P, and 8 on the MCAT; political science major; poli sci research for 2 years; internship at a local hospital; and I've been a resident advisor for 4 semesters. I have fairly strong letters, and I'm still in the process of writing a kick ass personal statement. Any advice on which schools to apply to would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind that I know I don't have the best MCAT scores and GPA, but I feel as though I've got a fighting chance. My advisor, who has been advising premeds for 30 years, agrees with me. Thanks much!!

:p :rolleyes: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ms Lily has nailed it down. All NY state schools (if you are a resident of NY), some mid-range privates and some DO's.

Best of luck to you.

If you are not a NY resident, then apply to all state schools in your home state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lilycat:
•Try... your state schools, NYMC, Tulane...•
Lilycat: May I ask why you included Tulane on this list? I'm not sure of their admissions criteria exactly, but I was under the impression that it is an extremely competitive school to get into (with MCAT averages in the low 30s). Am I mistaken?

Originally posted by praying4MD:
•I'm not sure of their admissions criteria exactly, but I was under the impression that it is an extremely competitive school to get into (with MCAT averages in the low 30s). Am I mistaken?•

MCAT averages in the low 30's? So you're saying I have a shot? (I got a 32, but am having a hard time deciding if I should apply to many if any private schools). :confused:

probably because it is a middle of the road private school as is St Louis. Harvard, Washington ect...are top of the line schools. Not to dis Tulane, but if you are gonna apply to a private school, you may have a shot at Tulane with a 27.

or 26 even. :oops:

What is funny about the MCAT is how everyone (WHO APPLIES!)seems to be REALLY bunched around the mean. If you look at the average (split) MCAT of matriculants at most schools it is around 29-30. Am I wrong in assuming that because of this there is a fine line in MCAT distribution cut off? It just seems that most people you hear about applying and getting in are MCAT very near 30...What are your opinions?

I basically included Tulane and SLU for the reasons that wooo mentioned -- if I remember correctly, their GPA averages were around a 3.6 too (I could be totally off on this), a little lower than some other private schools. The original poster wants to apply to med school no matter what, and the only schools that typically have averages less than 10 are some state schools, which generally wouldn't be advisable to apply to because of residency "quotas." So, this poster should probably look at private schools that have averages on the lower side than the higher side, although these are still extremely competitive schools.

That being said, you're right, Tulane is pretty competitive, in part because they get something like 8000 applications!! However, Dean Pisano really seems to look for interesting and unique applicants, so you may still catch his interest even if your numbers aren't quite at their averages.