Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adventure2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im a graduate student finishing up my degree with an undergrad GPA of 3.85+, grad GPA 4.0 and an MCAT 28Q just wondering which schools to consider to apply to? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Neuronix has a great what are my chances sticky that is really informative. This is what he has to say on GPA and MCAT

"1) What is considered a good GPA and MCAT for MSTP admissions?

Doctor&Geek posted this link:

https://www.aamc.org/download/103200...sonhandout.pdf

To summarize:
Applicants who did not receive an offer: GPA 3.68 (SD .24)/MCAT 32.7 (3.7)
Applicants who received one offer: GPA 3.74 (SD .21)/MCAT 34 (3.7)
Applicants who received more than one offer: GPA 3.82 (SD .15)/MCAT 35.7 (2.5)"

I would definitely consider re-taking the MCAT before you apply, your score will definitely be a red-flag. I don't know what the rest of your app is like but even if it is amazing I would imagine your MCAT score will put you at a disadvantage at some programs.

That being said, I would apply broadly and to as wide a range of programs as you can (public, private, MSTP, non-MSTP, and a wide range of geographic locations).

Research programs that you think might be a good fit for your interests.

Best of luck!

^above is superb advice. I would STRONGLY recommend taking a year off and retaking MCAT to get your score high. I had a very good MCAT, but mediocre GPA and I had zero questions. However, I think because the MCAT is seen as somewhat of a "standard" being a standardized test it could bring up questions about the rigor of your course load during college.

Ignore my retake advice if you prepped super hard and only scored ~28 on your practice tests consistently. Improving your MCAT is the quickest way to improve your application drastically at this stage. The general rule people always told me is to apply when your application is at its best...you really do not want to go through this process twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, you really need to improve the MCAT. not to be a downer, but applying with a 28 is a waste of time and money unless you have some exceptional situation.

There may be a few non-mstps that might be more considering. Just be sure they are fully funded.

It would likely be worth the money to take a class.

Hey man,
Im just saying this to HELP you not to be a downer, but I had a friend with a 28 MCAT who had three first-author pubs and solid grades but did not get in anywhere. And he applied almost 10 years ago. At least your GPA is above average, so at least you have that settled. However, I'm pretty sure with that MCAT, there's a certain cut-off that schools will have.

Hi, Im a graduate student finishing up my degree with an undergrad GPA of 3.85+, grad GPA 4.0 and an MCAT 28Q just wondering which schools to consider to apply to? Thanks! :)

Are you finishing a masters or a PhD? Are you looking to apply to an MSTP or to straight MD?

Just my 2 cents, but you may be a fairly competitive applicant depending on your research and other things. While 28 is on the low end of the spectrum for MSTPs, it by no means disqualifies you. It may be worth considering taking it again, but just to give a different perspective there are certainly people with that score who have gotten into great MTSPs.

As an interested sideline observer of this application process (and med school but not MSTP faculty), I have been especially struck by the importance of the MCAT score. In looking at the sticky by Neuronix with the statistics about who and who is not accepted based on their GPA and MCAT score, it is notable that, although the SD for GPA is fairly wide, the SD for the MCAT score is not. My observation is that a high MCAT score can temper the "undesirability" of a lower GPA, but not so much vice versa. I.e., when selecting to interview, MSTP and MD PhD programs have a certain "disqualifying" MCAT score even if they don't have a similar GPA cutoff. The exception to this is if the applicant is an underrepresented minority.

Any thoughts from the senior members of the forums?

Any thoughts from the senior members of the forums?

Having reviewed > 7,000 MD-PhD applications over the years, I guess I qualify as a senior member.

Because there is so much variability among the rigor of colleges and the rigor of the curricula taken by individual students, it is not surprising that the SD in GPA is greater. An individual with a 3.7 from U Chicago is probably a stronger student than an individual with a 3.9 from Ball State. She may also be stronger than a fellow U Chicago student who earned a 3.9 because she took a more rigorous course load than he did.

As a general rule, there are three GPA thresholds: <3.3 = GPA is a significant concern, interview unlikely; 3.3 to 3.6 = GPA is a moderate concern, but can be mitigated by a strong MCAT; GPA >3.6 = no worries. There are other factors which can mitigate a middling GPA, such as the necessity of holding a job, rigor of curriculum, personal crisis, strong upward trajectory to the GPA, etc.

For the MCAT, you should think about this in terms of these thresholds: <28 = very great risk that individual will struggle in MD curriculum, interviews granted very rarely; 28 to 30 = risk that individual will struggle, likelihood of acceptance is around 15%; 31-34 = low risk of academic difficulties, likelihood of acceptance is around 33%; 35 & up = low risk of academic difficulties, likelihood of acceptance is around 45%. These percentages are based on the entire applicant pool; at the most competitive schools that receive a large number of applications, the acceptance percentages decrease.

To the OP, you should consider retaking the MCAT. You can get in with a 28, but you double the likelihood of acceptance by pushing your score into the 31-34 range.

Thanks, Maebea! Excellent summary.