Where to buy plane tickets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys,

I have 5 interviews lined up so far (UConn, Iowa, UCSF, Case, Columbia), and was wondering the best place to buy plane tickets?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never flown before so I've never bought a plane ticket, but I've heard good things about skiplagged.com

I highly recommend Google Flights. Awesome deals, they also suggest cheaper airports/cheaper date combinations, and they lay out all the airline options in front of you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
kayak.com, cheaptickets.com, southwest.com, usually the ones i use. I don't know where you're at but if southwest services your airport and you can qualify for their credit card you'll get 50,000 points. Depending on how far your schools are that will probably get you 3 flights right there for free.

spirit airlines. all the websites that "help" you find cheap flights over charge

CheapOair!

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend skyscanner they search through all the airlines so you can get the lowest price

Google Flights is a good search tool but I recommend purchasing directly through the airline. A good app for your phone to monitor prices is hopper. It will send alerts to you as prices move so you don't miss a dip in fares. Re: UIowa, the closest airport is Cedar Rapids and there are shuttle services to get you to campus. Be aware that some of the lowest economy fares on United and American do not allow you to put a bag in the overhead.

purchase plane tix at the ticket counter if you live near an airport. they take off the convenience fee or w/e and it's def worth it especially if you don't live far from an airport

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I highly recommend priceline.com

momondo.com
Use a private browser, very cheap.

purchase plane tix at the ticket counter if you live near an airport. they take off the convenience fee or w/e and it's def worth it especially if you don't live far from an airport

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I wish I could, but I live in the middle of nowhere.

Several D1's recommended getting the Southwest credit cards. They have an annual fee but you end up getting that back 10x in SW flights.

The best part of SW is that the miles never expire, no baggage fees, and you can cancel anytime with no cancellation fees (which is perfect for someone who may need to reschedule or cancel dental interviews). I opened both SW credit cards just for this reason. Right now the bonus is only 40,000 miles but they often offer a 50,000-mile bonus.

Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card

I've never flown before so I've never bought a plane ticket, but I've heard good things about skiplagged.com
I second skiplagged! I've used it and saved $600 flying Hawaii to Chicago. Some hidden city flights are to Canada and may require a passport.

Google Flights!! You can play with the dates and see the cheapest option. As mentioned above, they even give suggestions like "save $xx if you leave 2 days earlier or from another airport instead".