Where to apply as an Arizona resident??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClubbedPenguins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there are any schools that favor Arizona residents since we don’t have any public dental schools here. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you end up applying to Midwestern-AZ or ASDOH, just make sure you’re comfortable owning $650,000+ in student loans. That’s a life altering amount of debt that will follow you for a very long time.

Honestly, if I were applying to dental school today and relying on loans, I wouldn’t even apply to those schools, among others.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
If you end up applying to Midwestern-AZ or ASDOH, just make sure you’re comfortable owning $650,000+ in student loans. That’s a life altering amount of debt that will follow you for a very long time.

Honestly, if I were applying to dental school today and relying on loans, I wouldn’t even apply to those schools, among others.

Big Hoss
Ya I am definitely concerned with the cost of those schools. What are my other options as a Az resident? I have a 22AA, 23 PAT, 3.48 science and cumulative gpa, 140 shadowing hours, and a ton of volunteer hours. Thanks for your advice!

Ya I am definitely concerned with the cost of those schools. What are my other options as a Az resident? I have a 22AA, 23 PAT, 3.48 science and cumulative gpa, 140 shadowing hours, and a ton of volunteer hours. Thanks for your advice!
You’ll have to do some homework to find out which state schools offer in-state tuition after the first year.

To be very real with you and all the other predents on here, the cost of a dental education is getting to the point where I likely wouldn’t have considered it as a career option. I got into medical school but turned it down for dentistry due to the “lifestyle.” But, having to earn $55,000 or more per year just to cover the interest on one’s student loans isn’t much of a “lifestyle.”

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
You’ll have to do some homework to find out which state schools offer in-state tuition after the first year.

To be very real with you and all the other predents on here, the cost of a dental education is getting to the point where I likely wouldn’t have considered it as a career option. I got into medical school but turned it down for dentistry due to the “lifestyle.” But, having to earn $55,000 or more per year just to cover the interest on one’s student loans isn’t much of a “lifestyle.”

Big Hoss
Agreed. I would not go to dental school today. Esp not at MWU or ASDOH.

I know several graduates from both of the schools that are really struggling. Most of them graduated three to five years ago with around 500k and have barely touched their principles

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. I would not go to dental school today. Esp not at MWU or ASDOH.

I know several graduates from both of the schools that are really struggling. Most of them graduated three to five years ago with around 500k and have barely touched their principles
i don't care about their morals, what about their loan balance?
:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
i don't care about their morals, what about their loan balance?
:rofl:
Lol I assure you the loan balance affects their morals…suddenly periodontists are probing a bit harder…GPs doing crowns instead of fillings…Invisalign on everyone, the list goes on 😬

But point taken principal is what I meant to type 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Lol I assure you the loan balance affects their morals…suddenly periodontists are probing a bit harder…GPs doing crowns instead of fillings…Invisalign on everyone, the list goes on 😬

But point taken principal is what I meant to type 😁
you mean to say some offices do 4 quads of SRP on every new patient?

I graduated from Arizona State U. I remember discussing this very question with my pre-dent/med advisor. He had a list of dental schools that had in the past accepted Arizona students. This might be a start.

Like others have mentioned. The local dental schools here are too expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated from Arizona State U. I remember discussing this very question with my pre-dent/med advisor. He had a list of dental schools that had in the past accepted Arizona students. This might be a start.

Like others have mentioned. The local dental schools here are too expensive.
Is there any way you remember some of the schools on that list? I graduated two years ago so I don’t have an advisor to ask these questions to.

Is there any way you remember some of the schools on that list? I graduated two years ago so I don’t have an advisor to ask these questions to.
I'm sure you could reach out to the advisor from your school even though you graduated a few years ago.