where to do medical research before entering med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nidal abilmona

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm a lebanese premed student looking where ican do research before entering med school because i have a year off. can u help me find international reseach oppurtunities as a holder of medical lab technology degree ( premed) planning to join med school?

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i'm a lebanese premed student looking where ican do research before entering med school because i have a year off. can u help me find international reseach oppurtunities as a holder of medical lab technology degree ( premed) planning to join med school?

Did you search around google? Are you looking for opportunities here in the states or in Lebanon?

Did you search around google? Are you looking for opportunities here in the states or in Lebanon?

i searched google, but it didn't benefit a lot. i prefer in the states if i can afford living there for one year or few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be tricky getting a permit to work here. Many of the medical student summer research programs require you to be a US resident. But I'm not sure if this applies if you simply want to work for a year and then leave.

Labs love to have people who just finished school with a biology related degree. They also like people who have prior research experience (ie with their own independent research project, usually during their undergraduate career), or someone who is well versed in the techniques specific to the certain type of research that they do. Do you have research experience? References from professors? These are the types of things that people look for when hiring. If you want to look in the US, google several universities that have med centers, for instance Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc. In your google search, include the phrase "employment opportunities," and you should usually find a webpage that allows you to browse through current openings at the respective institutions. Or you can do a more in-depth search, and browse for faculty members conducting research in field that interests you. You can contact these people with and email (including your CV, references...) although they might not be hiring. In terms of excatly where to look, the standard of research throughout the country (from the east to west coast) is very high, so you wont be at a loss which ever city you choose.

Getting a work permit might be hard, although I'm not sure b/c I've never looked into something like that, so don't quote me. But finding a research position, if you are willing to volunteer, shouldn't be too hard. I don't know about your financial situation, so not getting paid might be out of the question.

Good luck, I'm sure you will find something!

I can say that if you have at least some basic lab experience, you can get a job in a research lab. I'd say try teaching hospitals. I work for MassGeneral Hospital/harvard medical school doing research during my time off between undergrad and med school. Try http://www.partners.org/careers/webhire.htm

Look for job titles like "Research Technician" and "Research Associate." Generally the former position works in the lab doing bench science while the latter reflects a clinical research role. (At least this is how it works where I work)

And for the record, there are a number of foreign people working in my lab... my PI is actually from Russia, and a post-doc is from Italy. We actually keep a map in the department with little pins indicating where people are from (and people are from every corner of the globe).

Good luck!