where to do my away? your two cents!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earthgirl101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am having some major indecision now about where to do my two away rotations, as there are three programs I am currently very interested in: OHSU, University of Denver, and University of Davis. I'm pretty sure I can only swing two aways, however, so one of them has to go....

Factors I am considering: pretty sure I would like living in Denver, but it might be nice to check out Portland to see how much the rain affects me and Sacramento to see if its a nice city....

Denver's program is the one I know the least about.....

What else should I be considering? Does anyone have input or information on these programs? Oh, and I should mention, although maybe it doesn't matter as they are all university programs and fairly good ones, that I think I want to do primary OB-GYN but want to leave the option of MFM open.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

can you give me some reasons/rational?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the best program out of the three you listed.

It doesn't matter what's best. Seriously, whatever's the "best" program isn't always the best for that person.

I say apply for an away at all 3, because I have found it's hard to get a spot in an away rotation regardless. If you have to choose, I say choose the one that you most want to get to know - whether it's faculty, location, environment, culture, etc etc. There have been many discussions on this forum whether aways are even worth it and so I think the jury is still mixed on that.

If you want to do the away to guarantee an interview (which isn't always recommended or a "sure shot"), then do at the one you think is the hardest to get into.

And Denver and Davis have excellent programs, in addition to OHSU.

Factors to consider:

1. Not knowing much about the program and wanting to learn more.
2. A desirable program and wanting to see the daily action to figure out if you're a good fit
3. A highly desired program where you want to show yourself off to
4. A program with varying comments from different people, where a rotation will allow you to see for yourself.

Based on your post, I say Denver as you seem to know Oregon and Davis rather well. I'm assuming you are referring to Univ Colorado in Denver, Univ of CA in Davis, and OHSU, correct?

OHSU- Great academic reputation, clinical training, research support, solid MFM program (primate research is a plus there)
Univ of Colorado- Again, great academic and clinical program, lesser known and published MFM cohort, but very solid training ( I work with several of their graduates)
Univ of CA Davis-Do not know much about the OBGYN training, but being a native californian, PLEASE check out Sac-town before settling there. Cool city, but I know alot of people who did not like living there.

Best of luck!