Where to find a list of vets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to find a cardiologist for my cat and I've done some internet searches and there are only a few board-certified by the ACVIM in my state and in neighboring states. I was wondering if someone knew of a more comprehensive list, or are there just very few cardiologists around for small animals?

I live in NC and it looks like the closest place to me is in Athens, GA which is nearly two hours away. I'm not looking forward to making that trip with my two cats. :rolleyes: Can anyone point me towards a list of vets that do echocardiograms?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

mustangsally65 said:
I need to find a cardiologist for my cat and I've done some internet searches and there are only a few board-certified by the ACVIM in my state and in neighboring states. I was wondering if someone knew of a more comprehensive list, or are there just very few cardiologists around for small animals?
Your regular veterinarian should be able to refer you to a cardiologist in your area. Most board certified cardiologists will probably require you to have a referral before they will see your cat anyway.
There is a good chance that the veterinary school in NC has a cardiologist on staff. Also keep in mind that veterinarians who are board certified in internal medicine, even if they aren't boarded cardiologists persay, often have a background in cardiology as well as the equipment needed to perform an echocardiogram and can most likely help you out with your cat.

Members don't see this ad :)
wishes said:
Your regular veterinarian should be able to refer you to a cardiologist in your area. Most board certified cardiologists will probably require you to have a referral before they will see your cat anyway.
There is a good chance that the veterinary school in NC has a cardiologist on staff. Also keep in mind that veterinarians who are board certified in internal medicine, even if they aren't boarded cardiologists persay, often have a background in cardiology as well as the equipment needed to perform an echocardiogram and can most likely help you out with your cat.

Thanks for the reply. I went to see my regular vet on Friday and he is just over the state line in Georgia (I live in extreme western NC). He didnt know of any in NC since he practices in GA, so he referred me to the one in Athens. But I was curious if there were any closer to me since it's about a 2-hour drive. The vet school in NC is about 6 hours away, so that's not really an option. ;)

I'll look into the IM thing, though. Thanks!

Bill59 said:
For a searchable database of all ACVIM board certified cardiologists:

http://www.acvim.org/

Thanks for the link. I searched for both IMs and Cardiologists and they're all centered around Athens/Atlanta or Raleigh/Durham. Oh well. I guess I'll be driving to Athens soon. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help!

mustangsally65 said:
Thanks for the reply. I went to see my regular vet on Friday and he is just over the state line in Georgia (I live in extreme western NC). He didnt know of any in NC since he practices in GA, so he referred me to the one in Athens. But I was curious if there were any closer to me since it's about a 2-hour drive. The vet school in NC is about 6 hours away, so that's not really an option. ;)

I'll look into the IM thing, though. Thanks!

How about U Tennessee in Knoxville?

Hey, i work for radiologists in the rdu area. we do echos and go to charlotte once every 6 weeks. call the specialty clinic there and they can set you up!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in extreme western NC but still about three and a half hours from Knoxville. As for the triangle, it's about five and a half hours away. Charlotte is four hours away. :(

Yes, I live in BFE. :laugh: I've made an appointment in Athens, GA, which is about two and a half hours away. I really appreciate everyone's help. My cats need to be screened for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and it's going to be a long trip down to Athens. :rolleyes:

Both my cats had good results today. No problems seen in either of them. They'll be going back once a year, but for the next year I'm not going to worry too much about HCM.

Thanks for the help, guys!