Where to find so many Practice MCAT tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lachee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I am trying to study only from retail prep books and wonder how I can come up with enough practice tests. I noticed many of you have taken at least 16-20 full-length practice tests prior to exam, are they all from prep classes?

I only have: from Kaplan prep book, 1 test; Peterson's, 5 tests; Barron's 4 tests; Flowers and Silver, 2 tests, and AAMC, 5 tests.

But I was told that Barron's is crap. And so are REA and ACRO. Therefore, the total no. of full-length tests I can do is 13 (not counting Barron's). Do you know if the quality/difficulty level of tests on those retail prep books is anywhere close to those offered at prep centers?

Any info will be of great help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Lachee: The Kaplan prep book is excellent (I would also get the workbook - only 16 bucks at Amazon.com, and contains 1 test and 2x4 sections worth of full length passages and questions). Peterson's tests are quite good as well. AAMC is alleged to be top notch, although I am saving those for the final weeks of preparation (since they are said to give the best estimate of ones abilities).

I am not familiar with Barron's tests, but I have heard that there are several mistakes. Ditto for Flowers and Silver.

I think that the best way to get tests is to simply spring for them on eBay. There are about 2 auctions per week in which someone is selling his/her old Kaplan or Princeton Review CLASS TESTS. Rumor has it that these are excellent tests and they are often sold with explanations (they are almost always sold with at least answers, but it is best to make sure before bidding). A full set of tests (for Kaplan, 5 full + 1 diagnostic + 1 CD test) ran me 100 bucks.

My recommendations for you: Get the Kaplan workbook and, if you can afford it, buy someone's used Kaplan class tests (or PR for that matter). Those, plus what you have, should be plenty for the next 7 weeks.

Useful URLs:
Kaplan Class Tests: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1412793643
Kaplan workbook: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743205170/o/qid=983245803 /sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/105-7885362-3479143
PR Class Tests: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1411959724

[This message has been edited by rxfudd (edited 02-26-2001).]

Although I agree with you that the REA and ARCO practice tests are not exactly like the MCAT, they can still help you prepare. I would never buy these books but, it's worthwhile to check them out of your local library and take the exams. The reading comprehension sections are exceptional in ARCO. And remember, if you find books for the DAT, OAT or VAT, they can be helpful both in review of sciences and in practice taking exams. Although the exams are a different format, they definitely challenge your science skills.

If you want a real challenge, find the GRE Chemistry, Physics and Biology practice books. They'll really challenge your science skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is just another question (not really sure how to do this forum thing):
I've done the aamc official MCAT2015 sample test, but people keep talking like there are a ton of tests out there! How do I find these? I want to be taking one every week, but it seems like there's nothing out there! Are the Kaplan tests the only option? And are they full length?

14 years later... might be time for a new thread.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never seen the problem with uber-bumps. It's like digging up a time capsule.