Where to find someone to help out with statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am doing several research projects on my own, however, I suck at statistics. My hospital doesnt have a person to help out with stats, given that its not a very rich place. Which possible sources can I look at to find a statiscian who would be willing to help. Are they expensive?

Also how to go about obtaining statistical software -they are super-expensive?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Maverick

I majored in Stats in undergrad, so I'll try to offer a few suggestions

Microsoft Excel can do some basic statistical computing for you, but I haven't used Excel for a while so I don't really know of any resources that could help you.

"R" is a free, open source statistical software that can do a variety of things. At Berkeley, which is where i did my undergrad, there is a great course called STAT 133 that goes over how to use R. It's current website is here:

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~cgk/teaching/teaching.html

However, this is something that would take several weeks to get the hang of. You may want to check out an introductory text to statistics from your library. Also, you can try asking other researchers what they do about Statistical aspects of research.

Good luck.

I used to do statistical analyses for post-docs and grad students on a hourly basis.

I'm not sure what the going rate is nowadays, but you might have some success asking around grad schools, posting on Craigs List, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are planning to do a lot of research in the future, you could invest in some older version of a statistics program like SPSS off ebay for not too much. There are a lot of books out there to show you the basics. That is a time investment, but might be worth it in the long run.

Hey, Maverick.

I'm a post-bac student (hoping to apply to med school next year) and could always use a bit of extra cash. I have a Master's degree in Statistics, have experience with statistical consulting, and worked for one year at a company that did statistical consulting for big pharma companies and the NIH. If you're interested in chatting, PM me. Thanks!

- Weldon.

Hey thanks guys. have procured SPSS. will see if I can find someone. Will PM you Weldon