maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
South
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Am doing several research projects on my own, however, I suck at statistics. My hospital doesnt have a person to help out with stats, given that its not a very rich place. Which possible sources can I look at to find a statiscian who would be willing to help. Are they expensive?

Also how to go about obtaining statistical software -they are super-expensive?

VanDiemen

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey Maverick

I majored in Stats in undergrad, so I'll try to offer a few suggestions

Microsoft Excel can do some basic statistical computing for you, but I haven't used Excel for a while so I don't really know of any resources that could help you.

"R" is a free, open source statistical software that can do a variety of things. At Berkeley, which is where i did my undergrad, there is a great course called STAT 133 that goes over how to use R. It's current website is here:

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~cgk/teaching/teaching.html

However, this is something that would take several weeks to get the hang of. You may want to check out an introductory text to statistics from your library. Also, you can try asking other researchers what they do about Statistical aspects of research.

Good luck.

About the Ads

eclcell

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
If you are planning to do a lot of research in the future, you could invest in some older version of a statistics program like SPSS off ebay for not too much. There are a lot of books out there to show you the basics. That is a time investment, but might be worth it in the long run.

Hey, Maverick.

I'm a post-bac student (hoping to apply to med school next year) and could always use a bit of extra cash. I have a Master's degree in Statistics, have experience with statistical consulting, and worked for one year at a company that did statistical consulting for big pharma companies and the NIH. If you're interested in chatting, PM me. Thanks!

- Weldon.

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
South
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey thanks guys. have procured SPSS. will see if I can find someone. Will PM you Weldon

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.