Where to find the # of applicants /program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere published that states the numbers of applicants per EM program out there? I haven't had much success at finding how many applicants are applying to programs such as the glamerous 20 etc....

Members don't see this ad.

Most places don't have that information. Some programs (like Denver) receive almost a thousand applications just because, well, they're Denver. I know we, as a new program, received 500-600 applications last year for 6 spots. Most programs interview ~ 10 interviewers per spot. Last year we interviewed a lot more because we weren't sure of how we'd be received, so we interviewed ~100. Probably less this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
Most places don't have that information. Some programs (like Denver) receive almost a thousand applications just because, well, they're Denver.

Dude I heard that Denver gets well over a thousand apps a year. That place and places like Highland, Cincinnati and Harbor are ridiculously sought after. I wonder if that translates into the post residency job market. Do Denver grads get any job they want because their program is so selective? I mean, does the dude in charge of hiring new EM docs in Boondocks, USA really know what it means to train at Harbor or Denver, etc? I would think that EM is so new that it would be hard to have a truly universially recognized "glamorous 20".

By the way, 600 apps is a lot for a new program. Way to go!