1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Where to get Red-Eyes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BUmiken12, Sep 3, 2002.

1. BUmiken12

BUmiken12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, well here's the problem: I have a class on Thursday, the 12th until 9:30 p.m. that I must attend or my grade gets dropped half a letter....I also have an interview the 13th at 9:30 a.m. The drive is 6 hours, so I don't want to risk it. So where can I look for American Airline's or Delta's etc. red-eye flights?? I looked on Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, and CheapTickets.com, but I couldn't find ANY red-eye flights. I'm skeptical about Hotwire.com because I need a red-eye and they can't guarantee me one. What can I do??? Thanks in advance...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I would advise rescheduling the interview. You don't want to interview with red eyes! ;)

4. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Depending on where you're flying, there may not be red-eye flights. Where are you flying?

Also, note that airlines have been cutting back flights a bit.

-RA

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

If there are no red-eyes scheduled, I think you have no choice but to re-schedule. I think it's for the best anyway. You want to arrive at an interview well-rested, and with time to spare, not bleary-eyed and disoriented.

6. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  7. Spidey

Spidey Leorl's official stalker
    7+ Year Member

why do you have to attend this class? An exam being given or something? I would try to reason with my prof and tell him how much attending his class is going to cost me because I will have to take a flight if I attend, I would think he'd be reasonable... unless it is an exam or something.

8. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

I travel quite a bit for work, and I've found that if it ain't on Orbitz, it doesn't exist. :(

9. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Red eye flights are usually long haul flights between large US cities. So you probably can find a red eye from LA to New York or SF to Chicago. You are probably not going to find one past 10:00 pm for a very short flight in this tough climate for airlines.

You need to either need to reschedule or see if you can leave class early.

10. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

why can't you take the test or whatever earlier? I am sure your prof will understand. Just keep a copy of the interview papers etc handy, to show him as proof in case he doesn't believe it. I heard about somebody on SDN whose prof didn't belive that he had to fly out the same day as the exam..

11. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

at first i thought this guy was trying to get pink-eye..

how stupid i am...

12. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

Every time I read this title I think "For dry, red eyes"... in a Ben Stein voice.

13. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LMAO!! :laugh:

14. Jonkst

Jonkst Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Drive. 6 hours of drving isn't all that bad, and more importantly, what happens if your flight is delayed/cancelled? I fly quite often, and especially with small airports, I get delays all the time, by as much as a day sometimes.

15. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, I have to jump in on this one!

As an optometrist, I must say that there are lots of ways to get red eyes. First, you could hang around a day care center and catch epidemic keratoconjuctivitis (the contagious "pink-eye"). Or you could overwear your contact lenses. Or if you are allergic to pet dander, go to a pet store and pet the animals, then give your eyes a great big rub. Or my favorite, you could accidentally use peroxide as your contact lens solution--that will make them red in a jiffy!

Sorry 'bout that. Just had to join the silliness.