Where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Premedofthesouth

This is my second time applying, my first time I received one interview which was then waitlisted. I don't know where to go from here but I am applying to a graduate program that will hopefully help me get into the school I really want to attend (PNWU). I'm applying only DO and therefore using the GPA calculated for DO schools.

3.19 cum GPA
3.12 Sci GPA
Both with retakes
507 MCAT, retake after getting 26 first time
Military
Urm
~200 community volunteer hours as a coach
~45 volunteer hours at a hospital (none recent)
Did research in high school that was published

Do I need more volunteer hours/more recent?
Is my GPA totally killing my app?
Would the Heritage MAMS program be the best way for me to gain entrance to PNWU or any DO school really?

Members don't see this ad.

To be competitive and stand out just slightly, aim for 100> shadowing, 200>clinical (hospital type) volunteering, more research if possible (60> hrs would be nice), and I'm assuming you had leadership in the military to some degree so that would cover most of ur bases in terms of expected/cookie cutter ECs.

As for your GPA, it is on the low end for DO schools, but I suspect your URM status and previous military history would help compensate for it.

It's said that masters programs don't generally buff an app much, if at all, but I can't speak to how accurate those sentiments are. I do know however that post-bacc grade repair would certainly help.

Re-take classes you earned a C or below and your GPA should begin to climb, especially because of the DO grade replacement policy. Aim to get it above a 3.2 or 3.3 if your ambitious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
To be competitive and stand out just slightly, aim for 100> shadowing, 200>clinical (hospital type) volunteering, more research if possible (60> hrs would be nice), and I'm assuming you had leadership in the military to some degree so that would cover most of ur bases in terms of expected/cookie cutter ECs.

As for your GPA, it is on the low end for DO schools, but I suspect your URM status and previous military history would help compensate for it.

It's said that masters programs don't generally buff an app much, if at all, but I can't speak to how accurate those sentiments are. I do know however that post-bacc grade repair would certainly help.

Re-take classes you earned a C or below and your GPA should begin to climb, especially because of the DO grade replacement policy. Aim to get it above a 3.2 or 3.3 if your ambitious.

I forgot to add in that I have over 100 shadowing hours but I'm definitely lacking in the clinical hours. My research hours are over 300, I spend two summers working 9-5 days at the research lab, but once again that was in high school so I'm not sure how much that counts.

But I can definitely see how raising my GPA may make the difference I need to get in somewhere. Thank you for your advice and help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you apply this cycle?

I may have made my field too narrow, I applied to the westerns, Touro CA, and PNWU so 4 schools in total. Maybe that was my big mistake? Should I broaden my school pool for next time?

If you are not accepted this cycle then apply to at least 15 schools next year. These are schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ATSU-SOMA
You could actually apply to all these schools this week and submit your secondaries this month and you could receive interviews in January or later.
Accumulate more shadowing and clinical volunteering hours in case you need to reapply next year.

I wouldn't apply this late into the cycle and risk being a re applicant

I agree with werunthis, definitely don't apply this cycle! It's already pretty late and your stats are not competitive enough to get noticed. It will suck being a reapplicant and have to explain why you didn't get in the first time. Everything else looks okay except for your GPA (especially if this is the highest it can get with grade replacement, etc). You need to go to the individual sites for the DO schools you want to apply to and check out their minimum GPA requirements. It doesn't matter how stellar the rest of your application is if you are going to get automatically filtered out due to your low GPA. So don't waste money apply to schools with a GPA cutoff that's higher than what you have.

Do you guys think the masters program from Heritage university would be worth the risk if PNWU is my target school? Of course I'd apply to other schools as well while taking the masters.

How about you PM me your app exactly as it is (specific extracurriculars with the hours), and your personal statement? I just don't think you're anywhere near that desperate for DOs. Let me take a look and parse through it so I can give some constructive advice.

what state are you a resident of? PNWU draws heavily from its surrounding area and focuses on rural/underserved populations of that region.

if that is your target school, I think you should gain more clinical exposure and volunteering in rural/underserved communities. and I think it might be how your personal statement is structured that could be holding you back. your stats aren't bad, and your MCAT somewhat balances out your GPA.

I was interviewed and accepted at PNWU this cycle, so please let me know if you have any specific questions.