Where to live in Philly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoisthataltruist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning on attending Drexel Med School and wondering what the best areas to live are? Would it be good to live in center city and use the shuttle to get to Queens Lane?

Members don't see this ad.

center city is pricey if ur willing to pay tho its nice. not sure on travel

East Falls, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill/Mount Airy
If you had to live in the city, Fishtown area is the nicest for its price... but if you live in the city, expect at least 40min to an hour+ to get to school because Philly public transportation just sucks in general or just drive

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Disagree. The trains were reliable. Not the fastest, but was generally very reliable. Living in center city vs. living in any of those places does not change the travel time - driving in to center city to get to Drexel takes just as long. You may as well live in center city. Somewhere over top of Redding Terminal would be rad - had a friend who did that and he loved it.

Consider that you will have a number of days where all virtual participation will be an option.

CC is safer, more accessible. However it is more expensive and impossible to park (unless you fork out $300/mo for a garage).

South Philly can be a sweet spot w/semi-reliable parking, cheaper rent, and still relatively safe.

If you are going no-car i’d consider living in QL or as close to a public transit hub as you can.

I lived in East Falls for M1 and 2

Disagree. The trains were reliable. Not the fastest, but was generally very reliable. Living in center city vs. living in any of those places does not change the travel time - driving in to center city to get to Drexel takes just as long. You may as well live in center city. Somewhere over top of Redding Terminal would be rad - had a friend who did that and he loved it.

Yeah, I never considered Philly public transport overly unreliable. And I lived in and around Philly for decades.

It is possible to find a studio in center city for ~$1000, parking for ~$200. The local trains are good but living in manayunk or east falls you’ll want to drive if not on a train line.