Where to practice? (no limits)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAR89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback from whomever is willing. A little about me: I recently completed my GPR and am taking a few weeks to think things over and determine where it is that I might want to start working. I have nothing tying my down to any particular place, and so I'm keen to use that to my advantage to experience some place new. I'm just not entirely sure as to where that some place might or should be. I've completed the NBDE Parts I and II, as well as the CDCA-ADEX. It's probably important to note that I am not looking to open up a private practice or to necessarily work as an associate, and am looking moreso for something along the lines of working in an FQHC, community health center, or hospital for possible NHSC loan repayment. I know that even with this restriction, my options are still pretty open, so really what will end up dictating my eventual destination will be quality of life concerns.

I'm looking for a place that has a decently-size population of young professionals with a reasonable social and dating scene. Preferably I'd like to stay away from the bigger cities, or at least being in and around the downtown areas as that's not really for me. I'm willing to go rural, just not to the extreme. I'm not a super outdoorsy-type, so opportunities therein wouldn't be all that important to me. Good internet access is a must, but that's something that I can find most places I would assume. Cost of living is always an important consideration, and of course the lower the better in my case. I do speak Spanish and French and would most definitely like to practice in an area where I could serve speakers of either, or preferably both, of these languages, though I understand that while that may be a reasonable expectation in the case of the former, it may not be so easy for the latter. On this same note, working abroad is not out of the question either and is something that I have also considered.

I hope that I have provided at least a little bit of a foundation from which to base your recommendations, but at the same time I know that it's not much to go by. In any case, I'm all ears and would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. And of course, feel free to pose any followup questions that you feel may better inform your responses.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Given some of your interests, I would start looking at college towns or small to medium (40,000- 200,000 ) cities either with or reasonably close to a major university. Unless government funding dries up for community health clinic positions should be available in or near these areas.

Thanks OhioDMD. Are you aware of any other avenues available in terms of finding openings/positions available @ NHSC sites apart from the job center? I suppose that searching through the job center is the only way to find a position that's guaranteed to have loan repayment, but I am sure there are many other sites that would qualify and either simply haven't applied for NHSC loan repayment or aren't showing in the job center for one reason or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks OhioDMD. Are you aware of any other avenues available in terms of finding openings/positions available @ NHSC sites apart from the job center? I suppose that searching through the job center is the only way to find a position that's guaranteed to have loan repayment, but I am sure there are many other sites that would qualify and either simply haven't applied for NHSC loan repayment or aren't showing in the job center for one reason or another.
I wouldn't trust the NHSC job center too much at face value. It's a good place to start, but it isn't always accurate. Make sure you contact each site and verify that they qualify as well as that they have positions open. I would try the NNOHA job bank as well as usajobs.gov and then check them back against NHSC as well as contact them. I know there are a few job openings in NM, CO as well as WA and Idaho. And I believe all of those states accept the CDCA-ADEX.

States with no state taxes, hopefully no dental school ... that's where the money is

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile