Where to start...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RetractableTeeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am a newbie to this forum (and forums in general), and learning as I go.

After going through some rough patches over the past few years, and re-evaluating my academic and professional goals in addition to what is personally important to me, I have decided to pursue a future career in veterinary medicine. This has not been triggered by some sudden inspiration, but rather a gradual realization. However, I feel quite a bit late in the game, so I'm not sure where to start and would greatly appreciate any advice!

Some background info: I am currently a Junior in undergrad, majoring in Biology, BS. I recently transferred schools and switched my major from a BA to BS, and it seems like an opportune time to work on completing prerequisite courses. I have a 3.0, so my main focus at the moment is taking the classes I need and getting high marks in order to boost my GPA, considering a competitive GPA for vet schools seems to be ~3.6. I am a full-time student and work part-time, although unfortunately my part-time job does not involve anything particularly useful for benefiting a veterinary school application (no animals, research, medicine, etc.) other than possibly a future non-vet recommendation from my supervisor. I've shadowed a vet and vet assistant, and did a project on what I observed in a small animal clinic for an undergrad bio class, but other than that I only have some non-clinical animal experience. I am limited in where I can work during the school year because I do not have a car and rely on public transportation or carpooling, and I no longer live in the same state as the clinic I shadowed at, so I cannot volunteer or work there. Also, I used to be very active in clubs on campus, but I am now only in Pre-Vet club in order to focus on my studies.

Other than focusing on getting better grades, taking prerequisite courses, and being active with my university's Pre-Vet club, what steps should I take to become a competitive vet school applicant? I want to get more veterinary experience, but I'm worried it'll interfere with my grades if I work during the semester in addition to my current job. Would it be a good idea to volunteer/work at a clinic over the summer, concentrate on grades/classes and getting my degree during the school year, and then work as a vet assistant (for 1-2 years) after I get my bachelors to accumulate experience hours? I think I'd be alright with taking a little longer before seeking admittance to vet school, if it means I'll be more confident with the strength of my application.

I apologize for the length and if I gave more information than necessary, but I'm curious if anyone relates to my situation and/or can provide helpful tips.

Thank you! Much love! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Other than focusing on getting better grades, taking prerequisite courses, and being active with my university's Pre-Vet club, what steps should I take to become a competitive vet school applicant? I want to get more veterinary experience, but I'm worried it'll interfere with my grades if I work during the semester in addition to my current job. Would it be a good idea to volunteer/work at a clinic over the summer, concentrate on grades/classes and getting my degree during the school year, and then work as a vet assistant (for 1-2 years) after I get my bachelors to accumulate experience hours?

Hi! Welcome to SDN :)

I would say definitely go with gaining veterinary experience during the summer if it will interfere with your grades. Tufts admissions told me they understand that we are full time students and that only summer hours would be fine--AND that gaining vet hours to the detriment of your GPA is not recommended (you want a strong foundation going into vet school). Likewise UC Davis admissions mentioned that although they receive applicants who have thousands of veterinary hours, they do not view those applicants any differently than those who accumulate only their minimum required 180 hours of vet experience.

I would say since you are in the pre-vet club on campus to participate in any events they are hosting/get involved in any shadowing opportunities presented--be it a one time opportunity to spend two hours at a clinic to a monthly spay and neuter volunteer opportunity IF you can. This may help you figure out how you would like to spend your time over the summer and help develop your specific interests more quickly. But don't stress this for reasons mentioned in my first paragraph/these are just suggestions.

Lastly, Tufts mentioned that they like to see breadth but value depth of experience more. They also understand location plays a factor in gaining animal and vet experience; I live near SF and even Glasgow's interviewers said they were happy with me only having ~80 hours at a local ranch feeding the animals since I was turned down by my surrounding equine vets and didn't have any other food animal opportunities within accessible distance. I feel like this attitude is applicable to other vet schools as well? As in, anyone can shadow a few weeks at five different places but those who have extensive experience at least at one or two places show commitment and are able to gain more clinical skills, develop a deeper understanding of that particular specialty, etc.

So I would say yes, summer hours are great, and to figure out which opportunities are most valuable for furthering your interests in vet med (your pre-vet club might be helpful when first exploring). Also check with vet schools that you're interested in to make sure you meet their minimum required hours, and to see if they need a certain number of vet letters of recs. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Welcome to SDN :)

I would say definitely go with gaining veterinary experience during the summer if it will interfere with your grades. Tufts admissions told me they understand that we are full time students and that only summer hours would be fine--AND that gaining vet hours to the detriment of your GPA is not recommended (you want a strong foundation going into vet school). Likewise UC Davis admissions mentioned that although they receive applicants who have thousands of veterinary hours, they do not view those applicants any differently than those who accumulate only their minimum required 180 hours of vet experience.

I would say since you are in the pre-vet club on campus to participate in any events they are hosting/get involved in any shadowing opportunities presented--be it a one time opportunity to spend two hours at a clinic to a monthly spay and neuter volunteer opportunity IF you can. This may help you figure out how you would like to spend your time over the summer and help develop your specific interests more quickly. But don't stress this for reasons mentioned in my first paragraph/these are just suggestions.

Lastly, Tufts mentioned that they like to see breadth but value depth of experience more. They also understand location plays a factor in gaining animal and vet experience; I live near SF and even Glasgow's interviewers said they were happy with me only having ~80 hours at a local ranch feeding the animals since I was turned down by my surrounding equine vets and didn't have any other food animal opportunities within accessible distance. I feel like this attitude is applicable to other vet schools as well? As in, anyone can shadow a few weeks at five different places but those who have extensive experience at least at one or two places show commitment and are able to gain more clinical skills, develop a deeper understanding of that particular specialty, etc.

So I would say yes, summer hours are great, and to figure out which opportunities are most valuable for furthering your interests in vet med (your pre-vet club might be helpful when first exploring). Also check with vet schools that you're interested in to make sure you meet their minimum required hours, and to see if they need a certain number of vet letters of recs. Good luck!

Thank you Daelite! I'm not yet sure what my specific interests are within vet med, but as you said, the pre-vet club may help. Probably small animal or equine.

It just seems like so many pre-vet students work with a clinic or practice part-time while they are in school, and I've been feeling a bit pressured to start doing the same - but not at the expense of potentially hindering my efforts to raise my GPA.

Btw, if I got a few poor grades in undergrad, how concerned should I be if I retake them? If my overall GPA isn't all that great, but have a solid science and last 45 credit hour GPA, would that help make up for the overall?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely re-take any grades below C- because schools typically don't accept those scores. However, I wouldnt worry too much if your last 45 and science GPAs are good! Depending on if you have time, feel free to take additional science electives to boost your GPA but beyond that I would say only re-take those classes that matter a lot (affects your science GPA). And yes, those WILL help make up for the overall :)

Good luck!

Daelite, thank you so much - I really appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns and offer such supportive advice. :woot:

Because I transferred schools and switched majors, it's going to take a bit longer to get my undergrad degree anyway, so I'm going to give it my best shot and (hopefully) use it to my advantage to raise my GPA. It's such a relief knowing I can work hard now to make up for the few not-so-stellar marks from the past.

I'm so excited! :D

Daelite, thank you so much - I really appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns and offer such supportive advice. :woot:

Because I transferred schools and switched majors, it's going to take a bit longer to get my undergrad degree anyway, so I'm going to give it my best shot and (hopefully) use it to my advantage to raise my GPA. It's such a relief knowing I can work hard now to make up for the few not-so-stellar marks from the past.

I'm so excited! :D

Of course :) And just so you know, not ALL veterinary schools require an undergrad degree like UC Davis does--so you can technically get all of your pre-reqs done, apply, and get accepted into veterinary school without completing your major.