Where to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GNF8300

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my acceptances yesterday, and now I'm considering the HPSP to help fund an out-of-state education. I have family ties to the Air Force, but I understand it's competitive with most of the slots being already taken (is that accurate?), which may mean looking at another branch. Anyway, my question is whether or not I should consult a local recruiter in my state, or talk to a recruiter near the dental school? As I understand it, there are forms to be filled out in addition to a military physical. I can see where distance could be a negative factor, but using a recruiter familiar with the school could be a plus. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Contact your local recruiter and have them put you in touch with the local health care recruiter. You'll need a local one to set up the physical and paperwork through there. I did this since I went to an out of state school. It's a lot easier to coordinate. You probably did not miss the boat on 4 year AF scholarships as well as other branches. They probably select soon though so I would talk to your recruiter ASAP.

JKM

Great. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact your local recruiter and have them put you in touch with the local health care recruiter. You'll need a local one to set up the physical and paperwork through there. I did this since I went to an out of state school. It's a lot easier to coordinate. You probably did not miss the boat on 4 year AF scholarships as well as other branches. They probably select soon though so I would talk to your recruiter ASAP.

JKM

I agree. A recruiter at a school isn't going to be able to help you any differently than the local health care recruiter. One thing to ask the recruiter is when - and how many boards will be coming up. If a certain service is only going to have 2 boards (1 in Jan and 1 in April), but another service will have a monthly board - obviously your chance of getting picked up will be different.

The other thing I would recommend is talking to dentists in the service you are interested in. Recruiters are great, but they are not dentists and many things they say are "what they have been told" - get it from the horses mouth.

yea if you are interested in the AF HPSP you need to get on that ASAP. my recruiter told me that the AF has about 80 scholarships to offer and half of them will be filled after the first board, which has already met. He said the rest of the slots will likely be filled during the 2nd board which starts on Dec 18th or 19th... so that doesnt leave much time to arrange a physical and get LOR etc etc.

i am not sure of the case with the army or navy... i have been trying to get someone from the navy to call me back for a few days now:mad:

I intend on applying for a 3 year Army scholarship this spring. I would like to set up a meeting with the local healthcare recruiting office soon, but its super busy in the last 2 weeks till finals.

I'm hoping that if I can set something up first thing next semester in January, I should still be ok time wise. Since I will have to do the physical and all the paperwork.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

I intend on applying for a 3 year Army scholarship this spring. I would like to set up a meeting with the local healthcare recruiting office soon, but its super busy in the last 2 weeks till finals.

I'm hoping that if I can set something up first thing next semester in January, I should still be ok time wise. Since I will have to do the physical and all the paperwork.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

Yes, it is reasonable. There wil be scholarships left at that point. The would have to be shift of the earth's axis in order for the Army to fill all scholarships by then.

Yes, it is reasonable. There wil be scholarships left at that point. The would have to be shift of the earth's axis in order for the Army to fill all scholarships by then.

there can always be an order issued for earths axis to change.

Could be tough for the Air Force at this point though. My recruiter told me that they have less than 20 scholarship spots remaining.

Good luck!