Where to Take Second Semester Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sledpilot

Reaction score
Hello

I'm a non traditional applicant applying this cycle. My last prereq course that I need to complete next semester is the second semester of college physics. The trouble is that the school where I took the first semester at reduced the number of second semester courses. They filled up before I could register (they gave me a late registration date). This is the second time this happened, the same thing prevented me from registering for the fall quarter. I can take Physics 2 at another community college which has more course offerings but was warned by the academic advisor there that graduate schools want it done at the same place, which as of now is impossible.

I've already had 5 interviews (1 waitlist, waiting on results from others). Has anyone had any experience with this? How should I proceed? I saw nowhere on the list of prereqs at any of the schools I interviewed at that I specifically needed to do the two courses at the same place, but none were very clear.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taking it at community college should be fine. Pre reqs from CC are somewhat frowned upon at more prestigious med schools but only taking one shouldn't hurt you. For reference, I took both semesters of algebra-based physics at CC and then two semesters of calc-based physics at 4yr school after I transferred because I changed my major. (Interestingly, the premed program at my 4yr required algebra based, so that worked out). Most of my other pre-reqs were from CC. I'm currently a first yr DO student. Once you finish your upper-level classes at 4yr and do well, that will tell med programs what they need to know about your ability to succeed in their curriculum.

I’d figure out the what the actual deadlines are and just take it at a CC you don’t know when you might get an acceptance and what the schools deadline will be for having it done some schools are earlier than others. They school I will be going to gives you until July to finish but another school I applied to had a deadline of next month. You don’t want to end up in a situation where you get accepted but get disqualified because your physics class doesn’t conclude in time. Especially if the CC told you this and not the medical schools themselves.