Where to work while being an undergrad? (Pre-dental)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrightDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a good place to work while being a pre-dental undergrad. I'm. Senior is HS and will attend college in the fall. I want to know where are some good places that I can work while going to school full time. I was thinking about dental assistant but the dental assistant program costs about 3k.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't really need a paying job in order to be a strong applicant for dental school (I'm assuming that is your aim?)-- actually, it'll probably be difficult to get a dental-related paid job part time. If you can find one, great. But if you can't, you should just focus your efforts on finding a "regular" part time job (maybe something academic like tutoring or writing for your school paper so you can also learn a lot while getting paid) and then spend time volunteering for a dental clinic or shadowing a dentist.

Work right at your desk smashing your grades. Don't go out of your way for a dental-related job if you need to work. Aim for something that will not interfere with your grade smashing. Something on or near campus with minimal hours at first.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at a nearby coffee shop during undergrad, which turned out great due to the manual dexterity involved (lol) and I got free coffee to study with. The tips weren't bad either. Remember to focus on school and getting the grades you need. If I were you, I wouldn't work your first term (if possible) and get the feel of college coursework. Find a studying schedule that works and fits you and then scramble in work/volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Get good grades in your prereqs and tutor

tend bar as quickly as your jurisdiction will allow. it will give you the maximum amount of money for time spent working while you're in school.

Focus on learning how to adjust to college and how to succeed in college. Get good grades first and volunteer/work in something you like, second. I made the mistake of cramming too much ECs freshman year and let my grades plummet.

I managed to get a paid research assistant position during my undergrad. The experience itself was priceless, but the money didn't hurt either :greedy:. For a student, I think it's the best option because the grad students/PI are incredibly accommodating of your academic schedule. I was able to come and go whenever I wanted, provided I finish the tasks I undertook (RT-PCR at 10pm, handling animals between class, etc). Not to mention, during the long incubation times, I'd get to catch up on studying, and get paid for it. Biggest benefit was having permission to enter the building whenever I desired to study (55 inch TV that connected to the internet and couches to sit on - my eyes were thanking me by the end). This was invaluable during finals time when the libraries became crowded.

Last edited:
I managed to get a paid research assistant position during my undergrad. The experience itself was priceless, but the money didn't hurt either :greedy:. For a student, I think it's the best option because the grad students/PI are incredibly accommodating of your academic schedule. I was able to come and go whenever I wanted, provided I finish the tasks I undertook (RT-PCR at 10pm, handling animals between class, etc). Not to mention, during the long incubation times, I'd get to catch up on studying, and get paid for it. Biggest benefit was having permission to enter the building whenever I desired to study (55 inch TV that connected to the internet and couches to sit on - my eyes were thanking me by the end). This was invaluable during finals time when the libraries become crowded.

I forgot about paid research (even if it's just a summer program)! That is a great way to get paid and get experience working in a lab, even if it's not what you want to do full-time. I never thought I would like research until I tried it and I fell in love. You never know!

I'd try and get a job that is connected to campus somehow. For example, a resident adviser or a desk assistant. This will give you practice is people skills and will be flexible with your hours and classes. My school required we had an internship, which is when I decided to get my dental assisting job. You do not NEED a dental assistant class to be a dental assistant. I got on-the-job training by my dentist--that way he had me trained just how he preferred. Focus on your grades and the overall goal of becoming a dentist. Your little earnings while in undergrad really are there to just keep you afloat.