Where/who are the people who don't get in??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllisonLP

I MUST be crazy....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw the other day on the AMSA website that in some recent year, 20000 out of 37000 applicants got in. I was already aware of the statistics and chances but it made me wonder....who are all these people? Where are these people? It seems that just about everybody on this and other forums, gets in so it was kind of weird to think about. do people with a chance just not get in or is a lot of it people who apply that have no chance of getting accepted anywhere they apply or even at all?
Allison

Members don't see this ad.

Some of these people apply when they have no chance of getting in, as judged by their GPA/MCAT. I was one of them the first time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
They also get into Masters Programs and try again the following year.

Too crestfallen to post very much.

we hang around, do something in the year off, suck it up, save money, and reapply.

Reapplicant here.

AllisonLP said:
I saw the other day on the AMSA website that in some recent year, 20000 out of 37000 applicants got in. I was already aware of the statistics and chances but it made me wonder....who are all these people? Where are these people? It seems that just about everybody on this and other forums, gets in so it was kind of weird to think about. do people with a chance just not get in or is a lot of it people who apply that have no chance of getting accepted anywhere they apply or even at all?
Allison

Just to correct you, it's more like 18,000 out of 37,000 (slightly shy of 50%). See http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/2005summary.htm

You have to consider the sample. Most of the people who post here on SDN are keen on the application/admissions process. Thus, they would likely be the students who try harder in school/MCAT because they know what it takes to get in. Therefore, I would bet you that the sample of SNDers who get in are more than what the AMCAS predicts for the general population of applicants.

Basically, I don't think that most people who passively apply to med school to see what happens are going to be on SDN. That makes SDNers a biased sample.

Dr. Giggles said:
Too crestfallen to post very much.

Don't feel sad, Dr.Giggles, I bet the waitlist at Case will move really fast once May hits... A lot of the kids who got in there will turn it down for spots at top ten schools... And with a class of 210 Ohio State is bound to get some movement. I withdrew from there a week ago, so there's at least one spot more open ;)

Saluki said:
And with a class of 210 Ohio State is bound to get some movement. I withdrew from there a week ago, so there's at least one spot more open ;)

Much appreciated! :thumbup:

AllisonLP said:
Allison

We lurk on SDN and dispense ill-advise to future applicants and insure our success to take over their acceptance and one day the world.....muahahaha.

Seriously, most of the re-applicants do stuff to improve their applications, ecs, masters, retake MCAT etc. to make another go around. Some people also go to foreign medical schools and come back.

RayhanS1282 said:
We lurk on SDN and dispense ill-advise to future applicants and insure our success to take over their acceptance and one day the world.....muahahaha.

Seriously, most of the re-applicants do stuff to improve their applications, ecs, masters, retake MCAT etc. to make another go around. Some people also go to foreign medical schools and come back.

That was so funny!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AllisonLP said:
BOY, thanks! Now I can sleep better at night.

I was going to let it go but, I just kept laughing. :)

I didn't mean to nitpick, but your numbers were a pretty significant percentage off (high). No reason to make the folks who didn't get in feel worse. :)

Yeah, we're everywhere, trying to figure out how to put the pieces back together and reevaluating everything about our lives.

AllisonLP said:
Allison
I think in my case I just did not want to get in badly enough the first three times. I went through the motions, but I wasn't willing to really put my heart and soul into playing the game. My stats were fine, and I got interviews, and my interviews were mostly fine, but I was waitlisted because I didn't show enough passion for medicine. I went to grad school, got my MS, worked for a while, went back to grad school for my PhD, decided to apply again. The fourth time (this past year), I have been multiply accepted. Most people will look at this and conclude it was because of my MCAT score. But the one thing that I did differently this time is that I really put my all into convincing the adcoms that I not only DESERVE to be accepted scholastically, but that I really do WANT to be a physician and that I am willing to do what it takes to become one. And I believe that this is what made all of the difference.

QofQuimica said:
I think in my case I just did not want to get in badly enough the first three times. I went through the motions, but I wasn't willing to really put my heart and soul into playing the game. My stats were fine, and I got interviews, and my interviews were mostly fine, but I was waitlisted because I didn't show enough passion for medicine. I went to grad school, got my MS, worked for a while, went back to grad school for my PhD, decided to apply again. The fourth time (this past year), I have been multiply accepted. Most people will look at this and conclude it was because of my MCAT score. But the one thing that I did differently this time is that I really put my all into convincing the adcoms that I not only DESERVE to be accepted scholastically, but that I really do WANT to be a physician and that I am willing to do what it takes to become one. And I believe that this is what made all of the difference.

That, and the fact that you were applying with a PhD under your belt rather than just a bachelor's....much more impressive.

Another reapplicant here. Last cycle I didn't know about SDN...maybe that's why I didn't get in! :p

Depakote said:
We get jobs in research and reapply round 2.

Ding ding ding

Another reapplicant here. Last cycle I didn't know about SDN...maybe that's why I didn't get in!

Neither did I....

I find it interesting that close to 1000 who are accepted don't end up going.

newguy357 said:
no kidding? that's a whole bunch of wasted effort right there!
unless they reapply later i guess but still!

Duchess said:
That, and the fact that you were applying with a PhD under your belt rather than just a bachelor's....much more impressive.
It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's an angle that I have that most other applicants don't. On the other hand, I have to come up with a good explanation for why I should go to medical school rather than start putting that PhD to good use. ;)

newguy357 said:
I think a good number of those are deferrals. It seems like each of the 120+ schools has a few a year.

As for who are these people that aren't getting in? I know several who are just as qualified and want it just as badly. Sometimes it's just bad luck. :(

I knew a girl last year with a 36 MCAT and a 3.8 GPA, great personality, good ecs, clinical experience... and didn't get in anywhere (not a bio major either - I think it was poli sci). She's reapplying this year, but I haven't heard how it's going for her.

newguy357 said:

I was one if the few that didn't matriculate years ago. And there are MANY personal reasons why a person would pass on med school. Having a baby(usually a deferral if allowed), seriously ill parents, decided to go to Pharmacy school are a few of the reasons I've heard of.

I got good GPA/MCAT, good research experience, SUBPAR clinical experience and didn't get in this cycle (best is a waitlist but I doubt I'll be waitlisted). Will be reapplying in the summer EARLY this time while I pump up my clinical stuff.

I think I just applied to the wrong schools, probably could have saved a few bucks on not applying to Harvard, JH, Yale, Stanford....

Should have been shooting for SLU, Drexel, SUNY Downstate...oh well.... next year...plan to spend year in NYC, always wanted to live there, plus NY has more state schools than CO!

33mcat 3.5 from IVY lots of research EMT-B for 2 years should get me in somewhere right!

Many go to DO schools like me !!! If the MD schools are too stuck up to take you, join us at NYCOM. We are very friendly people :)