Where would you go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school would you choose and why?

Duke

Cornell

Columbia

Wake

Members don't see this ad.

Dornumbia Forest

I hear there's a program that lets you do one year each at each school.

I'd have a hard time picking between Duke and Cornell.

I love Duke's curriculum.. and I especially love the fact that you can take a year off to do research and explore a particular field of medicine in depth. The only problem is that I would be hesitant to move so far away from home. And I prefer North to the South. Plus, if you go with Duke, you'll probably get a great financial aid package and less debt is always good :)

Cornell is an awesome school and has the top infertility program... which would be a huge plus for me, since that is one of my interests. And how can you go wrong living in NY?

Sorry, I know this is totally unhelpful. My reasons are specific to me. But I thought I'd post on your thread and say hi to you anyways :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia...great location, hospital affiliations, renowned faculty, generous FA packages...hope that helped.

Wow I'm shocked that the responses are 2:1 in favor of Columbia over Cornell...could some of you please tell me why? Last year someone posted an explanation of why Cornell over Columbia with some excellent well-thought out reasons why; but i can't find that thread any more.

Help!!

Ok what if somehow Hopkins was thrown into the mix, or UPenn or Vandy or UVA?

BTW, how do you change when the poll closes? i actually had written 05/01/05; don't know why it didn't come out that way.

duke sounds like a great program. however, i would rather be in NYC...so that would make it either cornell or columbia. Columbia "ithink" has a better reputation...and i could easily get an MPH from them as well. so columbia it is!

Psycho Doctor said:
Wow I'm shocked that the responses are 2:1 in favor of Columbia over Cornell...could some of you please tell me why? Last year someone posted an explanation of why Cornell over Columbia with some excellent well-thought out reasons why; but i can't find that thread any more.

Help!!

BTW, how do you change when the poll closes? i actually had written 05/01/05; don't know why it didn't come out that way.

Hey Psycho,

Congrats!!!!!!!! Those are all awesome schools :)

I'm not sure about any of their programs, but considering some of your earlier threads, I see you being happier in a southern school environment. So Duke, UVA or Vandy. I know people here praise NYC like it's the greatest place to live, but honestly, I think it's way overrated.

Choose wisely, and good luck :D

funshine said:
Hey Psycho,

Congrats!!!!!!!! Those are all awesome schools :)

I'm not sure about any of their programs, but considering some of your earlier threads, I see you being happier in a southern school environment. So Duke, UVA or Vandy. I know people here praise NYC like it's the greatest place to live, but honestly, I think it's way overrated.

Choose wisely, and good luck :D
thanks, but i didn't actually get into all those schools (not on the poll), some i'm still waiting on but i was curious of others' opinions incase a miracle occurred. and i'd think so too about a southern environment although my undergrad school is up north and i am happy there...getting a bit sick of the cold but....

I would choose Duke for reasons that are very specific to my lifestyle needs and career goals. I might not feel that way if I were a more traditional student. If I were in my early twenties, single, and not yet as influenced by my research, I might choose one of the NY schools.

I've been through a lot of schooling at this point (ugrad, masters, Ph.D...now MD). My take home message has been to go where you think you will be comfortable and happy.

Psycho Doctor said:
thanks, but i didn't actually get into all those schools (not on the poll), some i'm still waiting on but i was curious of others' opinions incase a miracle occurred. and i'd think so too about a southern environment although my undergrad school is up north and i am happy there...getting a bit sick of the cold but....

I clicked on columbia but meant to click on cornell. I like cornell's location better. Also consider Cornell is PBL while Columbia is traditional.

hmm... well, columbia sucks because they waitlisted me :rolleyes: . for me, i prefer duke because i'm into research, and the 3rd year is really helpful for that pursuit. durham isn't too exciting though, but then again, washington heights isn't the ideal part of nyc to be in either. cornell's clinical training is suspect (in my opinion), and i don't enough about wake to make a comment.

Psycho Doctor said:

Help!!

i saved that thread; if you remind me ill send it later; at work right now

I change my mind...Duke...just to see a duke UNC game

Members don't see this ad :)
krelian said:
cornell's clinical training is suspect (in my opinion)

Cornell's location definitely puts it at the target of a lot of skepticism, but one thing I found interesting when I stayed with my friend there was that they do have a really well-instituted preceptorship program that puts you in a different clinical setting OUTSIDE the upper east side (at least in most cases) to shadow a doctor 1-2 times a week in the afternoon, and you get a different doctor for every semester until third year. Along with some other classmates, my host and her friend both had preceptorships in Brooklyn, and a van carpool coordinated by the med school took them there and brought them back to the school. Similar arrangements were in place for people traveling to other areas/boroughs where subway or bus access was not convenient. Knowing that put the "lack of 'real' clinical exposure" critique to rest in my mind...

Bigsheed920 said:
Columbia...great location, hospital affiliations, renowned faculty, generous FA packages...hope that helped.

great location??

juniper456 said:
great location??
Meant being in NYC, although spanish harlem is getting better and better in my opinion.

bidster said:
Cornell's location definitely puts it at the target of a lot of skepticism, but one thing I found interesting when I stayed with my friend there was that they do have a really well-instituted preceptorship program that puts you in a different clinical setting OUTSIDE the upper east side (at least in most cases) to shadow a doctor 1-2 times a week in the afternoon, and you get a different doctor for every semester until third year. Along with some other classmates, my host and her friend both had preceptorships in Brooklyn, and a van carpool coordinated by the med school took them there and brought them back to the school. Similar arrangements were in place for people traveling to other areas/boroughs where subway or bus access was not convenient. Knowing that put the "lack of 'real' clinical exposure" critique to rest in my mind...

what's wrong with the location?

Haybrant said:
i saved that thread; if you remind me ill send it later; at work right now
awesome, thanks! I thought i saved it but can't seem to find where i saved it :oops: I'm usually more organized than that! :(

Psycho Doctor said:
what's wrong with the location?

There's nothing "wrong" with it per se...just that the upper east side is known for being overall pretty wealthy--a lot of "old money" lives there--so the *speculation* is that the patient base and clinical experiences would be a stark contrast to those found at, say, Atlanta's Grady or at Columbia-Presbyterian where the dominant patient base is not as well-off. How true this turns out to be, I'm not sure.

As for the above claim that Columbia is in spanish harlem--washington heights and spanish harlem are entirely *not* the same.

Enlighten me then bidster

Bigsheed920 said:
Enlighten me then bidster

I'm pretty sure Spanish Harlem is on the upper east side, upwards of the 100s or so and is mostly Mexican....Washington Heights is on the west side and is mostly Dominican....

Cornell. I liked Columbia's students the most, I liked Duke's curriculum the most, I liked Hopkins's hospital (and reputation) the most. For me, Cornell was 2nd or 3rd place in all those areas but its location was a trump card. I plan to work hard in medical school but I also plan to maintain a personal life all the while. And for me that means being happy in my living environment. I can think of no better place for a single in her 20's to have fun than the UpperEast side of Manhattan. Museums, Lincoln Center close by and SoHo/Village is a skip away.

Also, I don't care if it seems superficial but, when am I going to look like this again? My body is taut, my boobs are firm, and my skin is unblemished. Let's face it, I'm freaking fabulous and I want to be amongst the fabulous. Is that so wrong? Oh yeah, and sick people, hospitals, helping humanity and such, blah blah too. :D

AnnieShiro said:
Cornell. I liked Columbia's students the most, I liked Duke's curriculum the most, I liked Hopkins's hospital (and reputation) the most. For me, Cornell was 2nd or 3rd place in all those areas but its location was a trump card. I plan to work hard in medical school but I also plan to maintain a personal life all the while. And for me that means being happy in my living environment. I can think of no better place for a single in her 20's to have fun than the UpperEast side of Manhattan. Museums, Lincoln Center close by and SoHo/Village is a skip away.

Also, I don't care if it seems superficial but, when am I going to look like this again? My body is taut, my boobs are firm, and my skin is unblemished. Let's face it, I'm freaking fabulous and I want to be amongst the fabulous. Is that so wrong? Oh yeah, and sick people, hospitals, helping humanity and such, blah blah too. :D
that's quite a contast to a few days ago when you said you gained 40 lbs and lost all your hair

or do i have the wrong person again?

AnnieShiro said:

And just to clarify, I didn't mean to intimate that Cornell's students are the best-looking, that honor goes to Columbia (and Hopkins gets the prize for ugliest... woof woof). I just meant that you can take a stroll down SoHo, heave a sigh of pleasure, and enjoy the beautiful, plastic-surgeried scenary.

Psycho Doctor said:
that's quite a contast to a few days ago when you said you gained 40 lbs and lost all your hair

or do i have the wrong person again?

I was joking. You think I'd let myself be seen in public if I gained weight? HA! I'm a bombshell. Who reads StudentDoctor.net.

AnnieShiro said:
I was joking. You think I'd let myself be seen in public if I gained weight? HA! I'm a bombshell. Who reads StudentDoctor.net.
haha i knew you were joking, but if you're a bombshell, post your pic

Psycho Doctor said:

psycho will put it by his bed

Psycho Doctor said:

Sorry, not really into internet exhibitionism.

AnnieShiro said:
Are you going to second look weekend? I'm insanely hot too, so I think we should meet.

I would choose Duke so I could go to all their home games and heckle them. I would make it my personal quest to make JJ miss a free throw.

Kazema said:
I would choose Duke so I could go to all their home games and heckle them. I would make it my personal quest to make JJ miss a free throw.

JJ Redick is awesome. And before every free throw he says the Phil 4:13 verse "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." which makes me respect him even more!

I'm bumping this up incase you see it and can find that link about Cornell vs Columbia.

Wait, Psycho Doc, don't you already go to school in NYC? I thought you said that you went to Columbia awhile back?

If you already go to school here, then you know where Columbia Presbyterian is=way uptown, lousy area etc. I'd have to go with Cornell because (1) it's better grading system, (2) it's better location, (3) it's better location, (4) it's better location.

Crake said:
Wait, Psycho Doc, don't you already go to school in NYC? I thought you said that you went to Columbia awhile back?

If you already go to school here, then you know where Columbia Presbyterian is=way uptown, lousy area etc. I'd have to go with Cornell because (1) it's better grading system, (2) it's better location, (3) it's better location, (4) it's better location.
No, I don't go to Columbia..and I never really said exactly where I go; perhaps people surmissed from my posts or those who believe they found my MDapplicants.
nono.gif
And I was pretty convinced of Cornell for various reasons but obviously by my survey most people disagree. I'm just waiting for the overwhelming majority to tell me why they'd choose Columbia.

oh. Where do you go? I'm just curious because those are some pretty impressive acceptances. I'm not saying your lying or anything; you can graduate from anywhere and still get acceptances to Columbia and Cornell (obviously). Just curious.

Crake said:
oh. Where do you go? I'm just curious because those are some pretty impressive acceptances. I'm not saying your lying or anything; you can graduate from anywhere and still get acceptances to Columbia and Cornell (obviously). Just curious.
edit

Well let me amend what I said then. Since you already go to Cornell, you must be fairly familiar with the medschool. If you're having doubts about Cornell Med, and are so familiar with it, it may not be the best fit. I'd say of the other schools, P&S is best. I would definitely turn down Duke, for either Columbia or Cornell (but that's just me)

well it's not like they are any place near each other, so no I'm not really familiar with it. i've only been to each school once. why Columbia? No one has really given me solid reasons for Columbia.

Psycho Doctor said:
well it's not like they are any place near each other, so no I'm not really familiar with it. i've only been to each school once. why Columbia? No one has really given me solid reasons for Columbia.

Hi Psycho :)

You should venture into the Allo forum and post on the "How did you choose your med school thread". I saw a poster on there who goes to Columbia Med. She said one or two positive things about Columbia, but I'm sure she'd say more if you specifically asked.

tinkerbelle said:
Hi Psycho :)

You should venture into the Allo forum and post on the "How did you choose your med school thread". I saw a poster on there who goes to Columbia Med. She said one or two positive things about Columbia, but I'm sure she'd say more if you specifically asked.
thanks tinkerbelle :love: and how are you doing these days?

Columbia. Nothing beats NYC

Ross434 said:
lol that's why i keep asking people to give pros and cons of each. The overwhelming majority voted for Columbia, and then Duke. But for those saying NYC why is Columbia heads above Cornell? I've seen pros for Cornell but nothing concrete here for Columbia. I should take tinkerbelle's advice and try allo.

Psycho Doctor said:
thanks tinkerbelle :love: and how are you doing these days?

Hi Psycho :love: I'm in the best mood today. I have no idea why. I am so tempted to scrap my lesson plan and take my sixth graders to the playground cause it's so nice outside. Anyways. Good luck with all these decisions :luck: Deciding between schools is such a pain in the butt. How's all the other *stuff* going?

Psycho said:
I should take tinkerbelle's advice and try allo.

yes you should. cause tink is cool :p

You know who really gives a crap about what other people think. This is your decision. Your life.

I have talked with a few 4th years who have finished interviewing. After visiting all of these schools and interviewing with students from these, they said that they think Duke is the best med school in the country. The year of research opens so many doors when applying for residencies.

i had the choice between cornell and columbia and chose cornell because their ophthalmology matches are much more impressive, and the school buildings are beautiful. The talk about not seeing a diverse patient population is unfounded and refuted by other posters in different threads, in fact it's claimed that cornell see's a larger group of patients than is seen at columbia where almost all the patients are latino

Status
Not open for further replies.