Where would you rank again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeeMcGee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a wee little M3 trying to think about my (not too distant) future, hoping to go into Pathology. I'm willing to apply anywhere in the country, and I'm looking for input on what programs residents would re-rank if they had to do it all over again. Criteria:

-Great education
-Minimal cutthroat personalities
-LOTS of teaching opportunities
-I don't care about the program having a 'big name'

Ok, go.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only safely comment on places I've been. I would have still gone to U. Maryland, I just can't "really" compare with larger/bigger named places.

Big enough to see some good variety, but not so big you get lost among the sea of residents. The culture was pretty amiable; no infighting to be the golden child. There were a few med student labs we assisted with, but you'd have to take initiative to give a med student lecture. There were a few rotating medical students, but not a lot. There were regular pathology assistant students, however, who would be assigned to a resident on surgicals or autopsy. There were also a fair number of resident-to-resident talks/short lectures, and at least an annual seminar given by each resident to the department (topic of your choosing). There was limited specialty signout (heme, neuro, medical renal, and cyto), but a lot of intradepartmental consultation and various fellowship experience among the attendings. And, of course, lots of specialty multidisciplinary conferences (off the top of my head: GU, heme, GI, head & neck, breast, neuro). Since I was there I think someone with GU fellowship left but a former GI fellow arrived. They also do a lot of transplant pathology. For those with specialty interests not immediately satisfied, AFIP & Hopkins are locally available for rotations (had pretty good relationships with each). Not sure how the AFIP side of things will work now with the revamp/renaming.

I'm a wee little M3 trying to think about my (not too distant) future, hoping to go into Pathology. I'm willing to apply anywhere in the country, and I'm looking for input on what programs residents would re-rank if they had to do it all over again. Criteria:

-Great education

Ok, go.

I would rank great education and the other 3 don't matter. Not entirely sure what you mean by "LOTS of teaching opportunities". Do you mean lots of opportunities for you (resident) to teach med students or for the attendings to teach residents? If it is the former, it would be a HUGE NEGATIVE. If it is the later, I would rank it second.

Members don't see this ad :)

-Great education

Ok, go.

You're still a little ways from applying, so it might be hard to appreciate some of the info you get here quite yet...but here goes:

Personally, I think pre-application counseling from almost any source is terrible overall, but I'm sure you'll still get plenty of opinions here. I'll tell you what I think/what I did.

I think #1 and 2 are both really important. Great education is arguably more important; however, for a number of reasons, it's somewhat hard to tell where you will be able to best take advantage of educational opportunities during the application and interview processes. There are a lot of good places to go - if you go back to last year's threads, you'll see a lot of programs mentioned, many of which are associated with large teaching hospitals, and that's a good place to start. Part of your education will be a function of volume, part will be a function of your attendings, but I think the largest part is probably a function of you yourself.

As for #2, sure, you can suck it up and deal with people you dislike for 3-4 years, but having done this for a few years in a previous incarnation in the working world, I can tell you that it's miserable. You can try, but it's hard to totally shut yourself off from your colleagues. How can you tell if you'll get along with your future co-residents? You can't. But getting a general feel for the social atmosphere at a program during your interview/second look might give you a feel for the kind of resident the program likes. This is why I think the best advice I got during my interview process was "go with what your gut tells you."

So what most people do (and what I hated) when you ask the questions you mentioned, is tell you what to look for during your interviews. I don't think anyone gave me a straight-forward answer (I got a lot of sneaky implications, but not a straight answer) as to which programs to apply to in the first place. So I did the best I could, and I think I would do the same a second time:

1) Choose 2-3 regions of the US where you would like to live (I *know* this sounds stupid, and I convinced myself that I would live anywhere in order to obtain a good education, but it MATTERS - I am *so* happy I ended up in a geographical area that I like)

2) Find a list of all programs in the states included in #1. Go here: https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do

3) Sift through the FREIDA info to whittle the list of programs to a manageable number that you think you might want to go to. You can always go back to the original list.

4) Visit each program's website (this takes a while) to whittle the list down further.

5) Obtain further information packets and talk to residents at your favorite programs in order to come up with your final list.

6) Continue to agonize about where to apply, perhaps make an excel spreadsheet if you're neurotic enough, and finally hit the button.

7) Interview --> spend a ridiculous amount of time, money and effort, get burned out, and decide you've had enough interviewing. Cancel the rest of your interviews, much to your regret.

8) Agonize over making a match list --> hit the button --> agonize until match day --> surprise!

If you want a couple of personal opinions about certain programs, feel free to pm me, but to tell you the truth, personal opinions about programs vary and may be entirely meaningless.

Gotta start somewhere. You'll figure out what you really like as you go along. Of course, a lot of people don't realize what they would have preferred until after the fact. No place is perfect, you just try to find the best fit.

There's no doubt in my mind that some places breed unpleasant rivalry or general sourness. Some places outright believe in it as necessary motivation. Some individuals thrive in such places. Some don't.

"Great education" and "teaching opportunities" can go hand in hand. Personally I learned a lot when I had to turn around and teach it to someone else -- I came to realize what I really did and didn't know about it. That's different than your only education coming from an already overworked senior resident who rightly has themselves as their first priority...but then there wouldn't be "great education." It's also different from stepping in for attendings who would rather delegate med student teaching of basic science pathology, which for the most part you don't need to know as a resident and would have to review like you were back in med school; some may want that experience for the future, some may not.

Last edited:
Almost everyone does a fellowship now. So, I would rank highly places that had many good fellowships of their own and/or well-connected faculty that could help you get desireable fellowships elsewhere. My rank list today would be populated mostly by the often maligned "big name" institutions. IMO, the most important place you train is the LAST place you train.

Almost everyone does a fellowship now. So, I would rank highly places that had many good fellowships of their own and/or well-connected faculty that could help you get desireable fellowships elsewhere. My rank list today would be populated mostly by the often maligned "big name" institutions. IMO, the most important place you train is the LAST place you train.
I've definitely heard this to be true elsewhere.

Thanks for the solid advice everyone. It sounds like I'm going to just sort of shoot in the dark for sending out applications and then base everything on interview day.

The fellowship & last place you train points are good ones. If you really know little to nothing about these programs, you've gotta do as much research on them as you can. If you have good numbers & background, it's certainly worth applying to "big name" institutions (big in the pathology world) and see if you feel the magic.

I don't, however, think it's a great idea to sacrifice happiness to go to a big-name place solely because of the name. Transferring out of some big-name place you hate is probably less ideal than simply going to a good mid-range place to begin with. And, despite the fact that a lot of big-name places are places people love to hate, most of them have the big names for a good reason. You're too early to know now, really, but if you -knew- you were going to do a fellowship, any fellowship -- fellowship time would be when I would consider sacrificing happiness for a year.

A lot of places also have lists of former residents and their new institutions. One thing I would consider if I had to do it all over again would be to contact some of those people from places I was seriously considering; they're more likely to give you the real story than a current resident, and certainly more real than current attendings AT that program, though you may still have to read between the lines. Personally my best advice came from residents at given programs, when I managed to get them alone for a few minutes during interview day and asked a few specific questions (including some very good reasons to NOT rank some places).

I think this is great advice. You might not think about it now, but you should. Going to residency at a program with many available fellowships is advantageous. That is not to say that smaller programs don't have something to offer...many residents are very pleased with their training at smaller programs without fellowships offered there, and still get good fellowships at big name institutions. In addition to the FREIDA website, you can check out the program list that I made on the Pathology Wiki (it has all residency and fellowship programs for path listed, with links to the program websites): http://pathinfo.wikia.com/wiki/Pathology_Fellowship_Directory.

My personal advice: The Methodist Hospital in Houston has a top notch program with excellent teaching, outstanding faculty that are almost all easy to work with, great benefits, nice location in the Texas Medical Center, and a good variety of specimens. Here is the wiki page with more info: http://pathinfo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Methodist_Hospital_(Houston)_Program.

@KCShaw: Can I quote your comments about U Maryland for the wiki? I will be sure to cite this thread with credit to you. Thanks!

Sure, if the thread is cited (to offer some context).